Zoo Community & Writer's Guild
so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - Printable Version

+- Zoo Community & Writer's Guild (https://zoowg.org)
+-- Forum: Zoophilia discussions (https://zoowg.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://zoowg.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: so how is everyone surviving the pandemic (/showthread.php?tid=190)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - caikgoch - 10-29-2020

Quote:
1 hour ago, heavyhorse said:

I even know how to BUILD one of these--

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="https://zoowg.org/uploads/monthly_2020_10/5f9b099b4d666_Tubetester.jpg.054750e893240e9417afe992d816eca8.jpg" data-fileid="4176">[Image: 5f9b099b4d666_Tubetester.jpg.054750e8932...16eca8.jpg]</a>

Yeh but why?   Every Seven Eleven (convenience store) had one and a stock of replacement tubes.

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - heavyhorse - 10-29-2020

Quote:
1 hour ago, caikgoch said:

Yeh but why?   Every Seven Eleven (convenience store) had one and a stock of replacement tubes.

Yeah but first you had to have a Seven Eleven store.  We had to drive for 2 hours to the city Allied store.... 

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - caikgoch - 10-29-2020

Quote:
1 hour ago, heavyhorse said:

Yeah but first you had to have a Seven Eleven store.  We had to drive for 2 hours to the city Allied store.... 

True, but since it was always either a tube or something that visibly smoked (remember exploding paper/foil capacitors?) you might as well go to where the tubes were and hope someone hadn't already bought that one.

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - heavyhorse - 10-30-2020

Back then Allied was like the Everything Electronic Wholesale store.  I imagine they were where Seven Eleven got their tubes.  If it had wires you got it at Allied.  They had it, even the stupid 78 volt filament horizontal output tube that only Sears ever used.... 

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - cervids - 11-01-2020

Quote:
On 10/29/2020 at 10:53 AM, Ramseys said:

I even know how to use one of these. 

<a data-fileid="4175" href="https://zoowg.org/uploads/monthly_2020_10/EICO_625.jpg.246e5ec9f8d0b4dabe96149c16b877ca.jpg" title="Enlarge image">[Image: EICO_625.jpg.246e5ec9f8d0b4dabe96149c16b877ca.jpg]</a>

So do us youngins...  as the link in your image illustrates.  Fun fact, tube amps are making a comeback, and have the same traits as ever.  Only difference is new tubes come from either Russia or China now.

Sorry for spoiling your club.

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - shortleash - 11-01-2020

are you people insane...i bet you still use 8 track player too...

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - DingoJay - 11-01-2020

Yep, I grew up on wires and glowy things.  One of my favorite books in the school library was A Boy's First Book of Radio and Electronics by Alfred P Morgan.  This was in the mid 1960s.  I so wanted to build the one-tube regenerative receiver from the book, but the book was already old then and most of the parts were unavailable.

I do own a tube tester similar to the above, by a different manufacturer, though.

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - caikgoch - 11-01-2020

Quote:
1 hour ago, shortleash said:

Did you know that many of the now computer generated effects in music originated from things like setting the tube amplifier on top of the big speaker and getting a change in the sound when the elements in the tubes vibrated?

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - heavyhorse - 11-02-2020

Quote:
16 hours ago, shortleash said:

Not so much, never did; didn't like the engineering/ design of the format.  

Had a RCA color tv though.  Very long, round, very heavy tube.  Only good at night, you couldn't make the house dark enough in daylight to see the picture.  Which was OK, there were only 2 programs broadcast in color anyway.  The biggie was "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color", 6:00 PM Sunday nights.  Big bowl of popcorn (popped in bacon fat) and get settled in.  

Every time the floor was vacuumed the TV went all rainbow.  We used a bulk tape eraser to demagnetize the tube.....

There was a 5-tube VHF TV signal amplifier in the closet behind the TV, and a slide-out 3-tube pre-amp on the tree on top of the hill where the antenna was installed.  (We were 50 miles from the nearest transmitter).  

Fun fact:  The entire Russian space program was vacuum tube.  Miniaturized ones, about the size of a cigarette filter.  Civilian application for what was obviously a military rocket program.  Another fun fact:  Vacuum tubes are E.M.P. proof.  Would still work after a first (second, 3rd.... ) strike.  Accident you say?  Primitive Russian design you say?  Or  ......   

so how is everyone surviving the pandemic - littlejohn - 11-02-2020

Yeah CTC about 5.  The picture tubes were manufactured before the 'rare earth' red phosphors became available.  Everything else had to be turned down to match it.  If memory serves, you could fit a CTC10 tube with the bright reds.