Zoo Community & Writer's Guild
Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - Printable Version

+- Zoo Community & Writer's Guild (https://zoowg.org)
+-- Forum: Zoophilia discussions (https://zoowg.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://zoowg.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? (/showthread.php?tid=669)

Pages: 1 2 3

Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - ferritlove - 10-20-2017

Not sure where to put this post, but here goes...  I'm looking at getting either a small donkey or mule to help protect my small flock when I'm out at work.  Does anyone here have any experience with either from the guarding perspective?  Thanks!

Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - Hiway - 10-20-2017

Is a Donkey/Mule cheaper to keep than an Anatolian Shepherd? (which also has other added benefits if you're a zoo)

From Wiki: The Anatolian Shepherd Dog (Turkish: Anadolu çoban köpeği) is a breed of dog which originated in the Anatolia region of central Turkey. 

It is rugged, large and very strong, with good sight and hearing that allow it to protect livestock. With its high speed and agility, it is able to run down a predator with great efficiency.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="https://zoowg.org/uploads/monthly_2017_10/Anatolian-Shepherd.jpg.030fe3f4fc21fde1bae1417ca4d259b5.jpg" data-fileid="2632">[Image: Anatolian-Shepherd.thumb.jpg.d65aece2720...2f596b.jpg]</a>

Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - egoldstein - 10-20-2017

Quote:
2 minutes ago, Hiway said:

Is a Donkey/Mule cheaper to keep than an Anatolian Shepherd? (which also has other added benefits if you're a zoo)

By my records, a donkey is significantly cheaper!

Problem with an Anatolian is she'd be in my bed instead of the pasture...

Quote:
Just now, egoldstein said:

By my records, a donkey is significantly cheaper!

Ok, that answers that! Thanks.  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> lol

As you were...

Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - onewhoistwo - 10-21-2017

Quote:
1 hour ago, Hiway said:

now wait a minute... are you suggesting a donkey or mule can't also have added benefits if you're a zoo? [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - Hiway - 10-21-2017

Quote:
6 hours ago, onewhoistwo said:

now wait a minute... are you suggesting a donkey or mule can't also have added benefits if you're a zoo? [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Sure they can... but then that skews egoldsteins' "significantly cheaper!" comment... 

You need a stronger, larger bed, a wet-vac in the kitchen! extra large buckets and a shovel in every room... not to mention the addition of concrete steps & floor!  LOL

Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - egoldstein - 10-21-2017

Quote:
3 hours ago, Hiway said:

Sure they can... but then that skews egoldsteins' "significantly cheaper!" comment... 

You need a stronger, larger bed, a wet-vac in the kitchen! extra large buckets and a shovel in every room... not to mention the addition of concrete steps & floor!  LOL

Umm Hiway, *I* commented about the cost. You're getting senile and can't tell us apart anymore.  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":P" width="20" />

I'm not really into equines, so I don't need a wet-vac or larger bed, but does that mean I should put my new bed under dog expenses? Getting kicked as she sleep runs was one of major motivators for finally upgrading from a twin bed.[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - Hiway - 10-21-2017

Quote:
16 hours ago, ferritlove said:

Not sure where to put this post, but here goes...  I'm looking at getting either a small donkey or mule to help protect my small flock when I'm out at work.  Does anyone here have any experience with either from the guarding perspective?  Thanks!

Apologies to the ferret if we've strayed a little from his topic.

I hope you receive some constructive comments here.

Livestock guard animals - Donkey or Mule? - ferritlove - 10-21-2017

Lol.. not a problem.  Good thing for me I've already got a wet vac, and my floors are built to carry multiple Americans,  so the weight of a donkey should be no problem.