Zoo Community & Writer's Guild
Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Printable Version

+- Zoo Community & Writer's Guild (https://zoowg.org)
+-- Forum: Zoophilia discussions (https://zoowg.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://zoowg.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? (/showthread.php?tid=725)

Pages: 1 2 3

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Orcan - 08-09-2017

I’ve been reading a bunch of articles about how clean/dirty a dog’s mouth really is, and I found what I mostly already knew: just like in a human’s mouth, there are plenty of bacterias in a dog’s mouth, but if said mouth is clean and healthy, those bacterias aren’t harmful in any way, even less so since most diseases are not transmissible between dogs and humans. Also, unlike what the myth says, dog saliva is not antiseptic, letting a dog lick your wounds isn’t really dangerous, it would just slightly increase the risks of getting it infected (in the same way it would do if you licked your wounds). The reason why dogs lick their wounds is because of the texture of their tongues, which helps to remove things like dead leaves or dirt, and thus clean it to decrease the risks of infection.
However, most of the articles I read advise to clean the area where a dog licked you, mainly because you’re never too sure what the dog could have find and ate on the ground, which I can understand. People would advise the same  after a handshake with a human.
But if you’re sure your dog has a good diet, is perfelcty healthy and hadn’t eaten anything weird for a while, my logic would tend to think that french kissing him/her is cleaner than kissing a human? Since there are far less risks of disease transmission?
If that’s true, that would be fairly ironic (and in a way, even more enjoyable). What do you think?
(not that I plan to kiss a human of course, yerk [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wacko.png[/img])

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - silverwolf1 - 08-09-2017

I honestly don't know.
I have frenched my fair share of humans, and enjoyed french kissing a few dogs, and I've never gotten sick from either. I THINK, and this is only an opinion, that as long as good dental and oral hygiene is observed by both parties (I always brushed my dogs teeth, etc.) there is little danger from either species.
sw

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Resident Hyaena - 08-09-2017

It will vary, not just with different Dogs, but with the same Dog at different times,
Oral hygiene, for both of you, is a given. But whatever pet you have - Dog, Horse, Goat, Monitor, Turkey - you should fully familiarize yourself with their full range of breath. Find out what is within a "normal" spectrum or "palette" of aromas, and how they vary with feeds, treats. medications, times, seasons, etc. If it then changes without an apparent reason, you will need to avoid oral contact and find out the whats & whys behind it.
Whatever the Animal, there are three scent types that are an immediate red flag against oral intimacy. Two of them are rot and feces. One minute, they could have a mouth freshly done from a Milk-Bone session, and five minutes later, have a mouth that is seething with the remains of roadkill Raccoon or a steaming pile.
it could also indicate an underlying health issue, such as a dental abscess or other infection.
The third scent warning is chemical, and could mean that they have gotten into something dangerous. A floral, fruity or "nail polish remover" smell could mean that they chewed-up an old air freshener, or it could indicate ketoacidosis, a life-threatening medical issue associated with diabetes that requires immediate attention.
Or they could have gotten into the garden shed or under the sink.
If they have a chemical breath and are acting even the least bit strange, they need to be taken to the vet right away. If you can tell what they got into, bring it with you.
Equines share breath and "kisses" as a regular part of their social interaction. If both parties are healthy, then such interaction in a non-sexual context ought to be encouraged, though the Horse should be, and the Human must be, familiar with the other species. Hold your tongue though, a bite would be devastating.
For Birds, it varies widely. Doves and Pigeons practice kissing as a regular social activity, and is generally fine with your own Birds, as long as you are both healthy. Larger Birds, such as Gannets or Albatrosses do the same, but the bite risk and the risk of a stray poke at the eyes precludes that activity.
If you are even lucky enough to work with these Birds!
Never present or insert your tongue into any Bird's mouth. Many Birds engage in courtship feeding or food exchange at the nest, and your tongue could be interpreted as a food offering, with potentially disastrous results.
Many people engage in kissing behavior with Parrots, a normal social activity for them. This is risky, but especially with Cockatoos. They tend to have rather "sketchy" personalities, and even the seemingly best behaved one could strike out with little or no apparent provocation or warning.
I knew a person that did this for years, without incident, with a Triton Cockatoo. Then one day, he nailed him, with no apparent warning. Recovery to a "presentable" state took months, even with cosmetic surgery.
Mouth-to-mouth contact with Vultures and other Raptors is always risky, even with captive Birds. Both pathogens and mistaken food-offering risks apply. Even with the most affectionate Vultures, I will not do it, unless it is for resuscitation in a medical emergency, which fortunately has never been necessary. 
The tail-end of a Vulture is a totally different situation. But that's another story!

Resident Hyaena ^..^

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Cynolove693 - 08-09-2017

I Can't say whether or not it's safer, but I'd Imagine it is more enjoyable, with how long a dogs tounge is and how much it can explore the inside of your mouth.. I've French kissed dogs plenty of times; it's something I really enjoy doing, and dogs seem to love It as well, a good example was when I was chilling at a friend's and her dog randomly decided she'd force her tounge in my mouth while I was yawning lol I'd never tried to kiss her before that, but as soon as she got The opportunity to do it, she wouldn't stop trying, until her owner yelled at her of course... Anyways I'm still healthy as far as I know..
Ps: I've never had the urge to kiss a human so it's never happened..

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Actaeon - 08-10-2017

I've never French-kissed a human, but I have French-kissed many dogs over the years. For the most part it's been pretty safe, provided you can be assured they haven't spent the previous twenty minutes licking their own ass, but I have also had a few cases of strep throat or similar infections that I can trace back to having frenched a dog two or three days earlier, so your mileage may vary.

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Rannoch - 08-11-2017

Heh, not entirely on-topic Actaeon, but I remember a mutual acquaintance of ours telling me he always kept a bottle of listerine handy for french kissing does he liked, because cud-chewers (deer included) have pretty bacteria-laden mouths...

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Actaeon - 08-11-2017

*grin* Yes, and I also remember him telling me that he spent a week or so in very serious condition (at least part of which was in the hospital, IIRC) as a result of Frenching a doe. That was probably before the Listerine policy, though. It's good that he told us these things, but also a shame, because I *really* want to French kiss a deer some day, and his horror story really puts a damper on my enthusiasm. Maybe I'll try it after I've done everything else with my life and am willing to risk a week in the hospital for a white-tailed tongue wrestling match. ;-)

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Rannoch - 08-12-2017

Yeah, I remember being kinda like "ahh, damn" when I learned that factoid... lol.

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Saturnine - 04-04-2018

I'd much rather allow my tongue to explore the inside of a dog's mouth (or vice versa) than a human's any day of the week!

Is it safer to french kiss a dog or a human? - Eagle - 04-04-2018

I've enjoyed many a french kiss.  But do bear in mind that, yeah, a lot of dogs are rather renowned for being fond of eating poo ... and even if that doesn't disgust you away from indulging a dog's proposition to french ya, do accept the reality that e. coli and other potentially seriously harmful bacteria that is communicable to humans is present, so ... try to sanitize a doggy's muzzle first, heh.  You may not realize how readily accessible poo is ... a lot of cat owners let their cats run astray, and raccoons are everywhere as are their droppings, dogs will notice their poo a lot more readily than you would.