• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zoos with disabilities

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/profile/2912-cervids/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="2912" href="<___base_url___>/profile/2912-cervids/">@cervids</a>--re the fine motor problem, I know about that. I was calling it "old-guy shakes" but the doctor calls it "benign familial tremor". It's progressive, but treatable with an anti-seizure drug. A bother in any case.

I also know about osteoarthritis. Keep moving; that works.

Quote:
On 11/17/2019 at 11:38 PM, heavyhorse said:

We've had this discussion before, under a different name.  Suggestions made and roundly discounted. 

There are equine therapy programs in most areas for people of mild to major disability.  Why not take advantage of them?

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but equine therapy is not an option because I can't physically ride a horse.

If it seems like I'm "discounting" these programs, it's for a good reason.

Quote:
4 hours ago, HorseHoof said:

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but equine therapy is not an option because I can't physically ride a horse.

If it seems like I'm "discounting" these programs, it's for a good reason.

You could still meet a horse.  Not sexually, but still meet and pet.  People don't ride mini's but still have pets.

Yeah, it's still possible, but not being able to ride is a huge detriment for any horse lover.

Hopefully, in time, given the right circumstances, it will happen.

I'm still planning on helping the homeless this holiday season. Maybe that will be enough to instill a sense of meaning in my life for a while.

Not to mention that I have to be careful with my back. Lifting anything too heavy or doing any strenuous activity, which is often the case with horses of any size, could be disastrous.

I may not even be able to volunteer for the homeless. If they try to make me move heavy stuff around, it won't be possible. I'm pretty much totally disabled.

My back is all kinds of messed up.

Your brain works as good as mine, if not better. I designed my brace when they took my horses away in 2006 and said I could no longer physically handle the strain of taking care of a horse. They were right, so I let them go. They even tried to take my dogs in 2011. I "could not adequately provide for their care and health...". A stand-off, old fashioned style, with a cripple in a wheelchair had the State Troopers questioning that. Still, I didn't get horses of my own again until 2017 but I got one. Never say never my friend, please. I know your situation is different and you've been disabled much longer, but your mind is different too. You don't think the way we do, and you can solve this if you try.

sw

My brain is in pretty bad shape. I'll probably end up in a group home because I won't be able to take care of myself. Right now, I'm living with family, but they won't be here forever.

It's fine, I guess. It's a hard life, but we must soldier on.

Seems like you are in poor condition yourself. You have my deepest sympathies, SW.

Anything but poor as I see it. Rough physically, and mentally, yes, but each obstacle overcome in time. I train horses again. Not as I once did, but still I make a living doing what I love again. I own my own horses again, and have with effort learned to ride again. I own my own home, my own land, though things have been tough lately it's still mine to rebuild.

Most important though, even after the horse trying to kill me made my physical conditions so bad that Shadow & I could no longer make love for the last 10 years of her life, we loved and were in love for them. No-one can take that away.

I had disabilities of some sort all my life. They grew over time, yes, and injuries made them worse (especially what I saw and suffered in the Army, and finally what that crazy mare did), but I guess I never had the mindset of "You can't because..". I should have never made it into the Army honestly, let alone to be a Green Beret. When they sent me home, after 17 years, it was again "You can't because.." so I did. And the disabilities didn't stop me meeting Tippy, or our falling in love and having a great life together. Most here never have that.

Even with the depression & PTSD, and this damned brace, I manage now if I'm told I can't, and I'm told I can't every day it seems.

I guess that means I really don't belong in this thread, and I'm sorry for those who do. I wish I understood how it is for you, but at the same time I thank God I don't. I appreciate your good thoughts HorseHoof and you definitely have mine. You always have had. Don't worry about me though, I'll get along, I always do.

sw

I'd say if you can find a way to accommodate your disability, that's good. Unfortunately, not everyone can do that.

I may also have agoraphobia. Just add that onto the list of things wrong with me.

It's extra fun because I have no friends, offline or on, nor anyone to talk to.

Guess I'm alone in this. I always have been, always will be.