• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Question About Mares.

For those in the know, what time of year do mares usually go into heat? I've been wondering and can't seem to find a very direct answer. Or is it a variable type of thing? Sorry if this is already here somewhere and I've reposted the question.

It's far simpler than you think.    ALL mammals with any significant growth period follow a common pattern.    Start with the arrival of spring with food and good weather.     Time it early enough to avoid the worst of the insects.    Subtract any den period and the normal gestation for that species.     That is when that species will breed.    Darwin said so and he meant it.     They tell time by the photo period (length of sunlight).    

For horses (with an 11 month gestation) that means foals hit the ground around April first (northern hemisphere) and the mare is ready to start the next one in about a month.      Near the equator there is no variation in the photo period so they may breed at any time.     The farther toward a pole you go (the later the snow melts) the later they will breed.     You can put them under timed artificial lighting and move their breeding time any way you want.     Professional breeders will do this to give the foal extra time to mature and give them an advantage in competition.

Keep in mind that this is mating, sex for reproduction.     Sex for pleasure can be completely different.     Any female can decide she wants to have fun at any time.    A pregnant mare won't let a stallion close to her because if he tries to mate, she will lose the baby.     I have been near raped by a pregnant mare.    She had the wild hormones and knew that I wasn't the same as a stallion.    That's why you make sure she enjoys her first time with a human.     She'll remember.

Yeah, pretty much what Caikgoch said. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I'm not as 'personally experienced' with hooved species (Equines, Bovines, etc..) but since i have family that have these critters I've done the research to learn their habits, patters and  behavior. Everything he said is right-on with the texts i've red through: including the 'lighting trick' for inducing Mares into a breeding cycle, it's most commonly used for race horses.  Something about age and racing rules but I can't remember that off-top of my head.

Do remember as he's said too, that's for brreding only. I've seen many a female critter enjoy contact out of season, especially if they know the human who makes them feel nice. 

Whats been said. Where I am it's around  beginning of May for foaling.

sw

They are polyestrous.  They come in heat about every 3 weeks, with much more enthusiasm when daylight hours are long.  

Quote:
14 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

They are polyestrous.  They come in heat about every 3 weeks, with much more enthusiasm when daylight hours are long.  

Quote:
17 hours ago, WinterGreenWolf said:

Yeah, pretty much what Caikgoch said. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I'm not as 'personally experienced' with hooved species (Equines, Bovines, etc..) but since i have family that have these critters I've done the research to learn their habits, patters and  behavior. Everything he said is right-on with the texts i've red through: including the 'lighting trick' for inducing Mares into a breeding cycle, it's most commonly used for race horses.  Something about age and racing rules but I can't remember that off-top of my head.

Do remember as he's said too, that's for brreding only. I've seen many a female critter enjoy contact out of season, especially if they know the human who makes them feel nice. 

Quote:
14 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

Whats been said. Where I am it's around  beginning of May for foaling.

sw

I see, thanks!

Quote:
On 1/11/2019 at 3:11 AM, WinterGreenWolf said:

Something about age and racing rules but I can't remember that off-top of my head.

All race horses have the same 'birthday'. Jan. 1.

So a foal born in December will be "A yearling" come the first of the year.

So if you can time it so the birth is very soon after New Years, that's the best time.

Stay safe, and don't let 'em back you into a corner. 

Ah see that's what I thought but I was drawing a blank at the time, thanks for the info.

And yeah, seen some pretty horny mares.. Some horny enough to break bones or at least give a good solid headache from it being mushed in to a stall wall. Be careful back there. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":P" width="20" />