• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fines for dumping off a pet at the shelter

I seen that someone asked this question on my FB page  and i think its a good idea. If you give up you dog becuse its old or you want a younger one then i say yes. But say the owner died then no.  I think there has to be certain siturations where they dont 

Here they just passed a law for dumping a pet, IE: not going in to the shelter, or showing up when it's closed, and leaving an animal tied or caged outside. I'm all in favor of that. This was done after a dog was left tied to the railing on a week-end with no water, food or shelter and was found dead Monday morning by staff. Sickening.
sw

Quote:Here they just passed a law for dumping a pet, IE: not going in to the shelter, or showing up when it's closed, and leaving an animal tied or caged outside. I'm all in favor of that. This was done after a dog was left tied to the railing on a week-end with no water, food or shelter and was found dead Monday morning by staff. Sickening.
sw
Thats truly messed up, I'm with silverwolf1 on this one, I hope that the people responsible for doing that got punished.. (they deserve to spend time in jail as they were responsible for the death of an animal)
I Believe if someone abondens a dog they should be fined and banned from owning another one for a set period of time.. If they turn a dog into a shelter with a unjust reason, the shelter should be able to charge them money for the cost of care for the animal.. But if they actually turn a dog in to a shelter for a good reason (unable to keep them because of housing situation, or some other good reason) that's a different story..
  no one should be abodening a dog just because they are old or they no longer want them; it's just plain wrong.. these people shouldn't have got a animal in the first place .. There is currently laws in my state against animal abondenment that fines a person up to $100 if found guilty.. I am completely for this law.

You are about to discover the law of unintended consequences.   Since it's definitely going to cost them $100 to turn the animal in, why not take a chance on not getting caught at night.   Or better yet, let's just drop it off out on the highway somewhere.

Given how cheap and available webcams are,  I blame the shelter staff for not having a hidden one.

Quote:You are about to discover the law of unintended consequences.   Since it's definitely going to cost them $100 to turn the animal in, why not take a chance on not getting caught at night.   Or better yet, let's just drop it off out on the highway somewhere.

Given how cheap and available webcams are,  I blame the shelter staff for not having a hidden one.
Or why dont people avoid abandonment all together; and have morals;... No offense but that's a messed up way to look at a situation like that [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/huh.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]

Quote:Or why dont people avoid abandonment all together; and have morals;... No offense but that's a messed up way to look at a situation like that [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/huh.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]
​Unfortunately, caikgoch is probably right though, just as folks don't want to pay the surrender fee's at shelters here in NY State (Which are quite high), and abandonment problems have increased along with them. Shelters should have better surveillance but for a small shelter in a mostly rural area like our shelter, it's not always feasible and donations, few and far between, most go mostly to upkeep and care of the animals first. 
I may look into donating some cameras to them if I can find a willing installer...
sw

Quote:<div><blockquote class="ipsQuote" data-cite="Cynolove693" data-ipsquote="" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1500259228" data-ipsquote-userid="157" data-ipsquote-username="Cynolove693" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" data-ipsquote-contentid="238" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="1295">Or why dont people avoid abandonment all together; and have morals;... No offense but that's a messed up way to look at a situation like that [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/huh.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]
​Unfortunately, caikgoch is probably right though, just as folks don't want to pay the surrender fee's at shelters here in NY State (Which are quite high), and abandonment problems have increased along with them. Shelters should have better surveillance but for a small shelter in a mostly rural area like our shelter, it's not always feasible and donations, few and far between, most go mostly to upkeep and care of the animals first. 
I may look into donating some cameras to them if I can find a willing installer...
sw
</blockquote></div>
I guess your right, sorry caikgoch, I just got offended by the way the reply sounded.. But yeah I believe it would be a good idea to look into donating cameras, as it would help prevent something like that from happening again..

Definitely agree that if people have to pay fines for abandoning their pets it's likely just going to lead to more people abandoning them outside the shelter - or worse, on the streets. There are lots of reasons to have to give up an animal, with varying levels of selfishness - imagine somebody has lost their job and is completely unable to provide adequate food, etc. for an animal, or is injured and can't give them any quality of life/exercise... in that case a fine is just a barrier to giving the animal a better life than they can provide.
If someone has morals, they probably would walk right in, and pay the fine. But people who genuinely don't give a ship about an animal will take the convenience and lesser expense of abandoning them outside. At least if there's no fee somebody who doesn't care about the animal's welfare might bother to drop the animal at a shelter rather than, say, just leaving their gate open and hoping their dog wanders off.
I also don't think the fine would in any way be a deterrent to giving up an animal. Nobody is going to think 'I can't take care of/don't want this animal... but since it's $100 to give them up, I'll keep them'... and if they did, are those really the kinds of people who should own animals? People who keep them solely because they don't want to pay a fine?
I think a better choice would be more rigorous requirements for who can own or adopt animals - but since there are already loads of animals waiting for homes in shelters, that might be hard or impractical to implement.

Quote:I guess your right, sorry caikgoch, I just got offended by the way the reply sounded.. But yeah I believe it would be a good idea to look into donating cameras, as it would help prevent something like that from happening again..
​Nothing to be sorry for.  Being young and optimistic is a good thing.  You are needed to counterbalance cynical old farts like me.