• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns

Quote:
On 7/26/2020 at 1:01 PM, heavyhorse said:

Although I personally don't favor revolvers esp for the first-timer.  Hold it wrong you can lose a finger.  Drop it it's likely enough to go off that the old-timers used to keep the hammer on an empty chamber.

Drop-fire? No. Most any revo you can buy today--and going back over thirty years, really--uses a transfer bar. As to losing a finger ... well, not all of one. and I'm pretty sure that if you read the manual, it will tell you about that hazard. And revos are practically immune to two of the three critical malfunctions: failure to feed, failure to fire, and failure to eject.

Anybody buying any firearm should study its operation carefully. Learn to strip and clean it and inspect its operation, use proper lubricants, and practice with it.

Gotta wonder if that 1911 in a box is a replica, refurb or pristine unissued.  Unissued military 1911s are virtually nonexistent AFAIK.  Seeing as the "United States Property" roll mark is rather faint, I'm guessing that someone probably rebuilt it.  Nice pistol regardless.

Back in 2011, about every gun manufacturer came out with a 1911 for the 100th anniversary.  They were everything from really nice to cheesy knock-offs imported from third-world countries.  I have two of the nicer models that didn't come with a comma in the price, the Ruger SR1911 and the Remington 1911R1. They're both reliable and have a nice fit and finish.  I think the Ruger has a somewhat better trigger.

Quote:
On 4/3/2020 at 0:41 PM, Ramseys said:

<div class="ipsQuote_citation">
  On 2/29/2020 at 4:58 PM, <a data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/?app=core&module=members&controller=profile&id=11&do=hovercard" href="<___base_url___>/?app=core&module=members&controller=profile&id=11">Ramseys</a> said:

Well after 6 months of dithering, I finally pulled the trigger(Pun intended) on a new upper for an AR build.

.350 Legend, 18" Parkerized Heavy Barrel, 1:16 Twist, Carbine Length Gas System, 15" MLOK Split Rail | Side Charging Upper.

I'll let you all know when it gets here. 

</div>

Quote:
On 4/3/2020 at 0:41 PM, Ramseys said:

Well it got here a while back. Sat around for a few weeks until I finally got around to pulling the Stag .223 upper off a lower, and putting the .350 on.

Threw an EOTECH on top just so I wasn't shooting too wild.

Ran fine. Just 5 rounds. Don't have a huge stock pile of ammo for it.

Now I need to build a dedicated lower. Got most of the parts. Just need to put it together.

Oh yea, Soft shooting like everyone else says that's shot it.

I think it will make a good hog gun. Definitely a great deer gun.

I know this thing will max out about 200 yards, but I ain't in west Texas. Lots of scrub around here, so not likely to be a need for long distance shots.

While I had all the parts. I decided to do some upgrades.

Like a drop in trigger pack, nothing fancy, just something better then the 'Mil-spec' one.

Got an 'A-1' style stock. (None collapsible/adjustable) Hoge grip.

And a Leupold 1-5.

Got it all put together while it was cool-ish.

Hope to be able to get out and shoot is some in a few days.

Question:

Does storing magazines loaded to full capacity over the years make the feed springs weaken?  Then not feed the last few rounds reliably?  Anyone seen that?  Maybe I shouldn't fill them all the way? 

This was a regularly-asked question on the gun forum I was on years back. The answer is, no. What weakens a spring is repeatedly working it. Feel free to store your mags at full cap.

Quote:
4 hours ago, threelegs said:

What weakens a spring is repeatedly working it.

What burns my buttcheeks is that valve springs compress and release thousands of times a minute, for a quarter million miles. 

When was the last time you heard someone say "My car/truck/tractor has to go in for a bad valve spring"?  Shit, every vehicle I have has 250K+ miles, my big tractor is 50 years old, a daily-use industrial tractor before I got it, my little tractor is 60 years old.  The only spring that's ever stretched was a clutch pedal return spring.  From running over brush.  

But 25 coyotes later the trap springs started breaking.  One night there was a house-shaking noise and one of the garage door springs had broken.  Now I'm having my doubts about the magazine springs, and I use them mostly for varmint control.  I don't shoot paper.  If something gets shot, it needed to be dead.  It's not like I put 25,000 rounds through it.  WT bloody F?

Quote:
2 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

my big tractor is 50 years old, a daily-use industrial tractor before I got it, my little tractor is 60 years old.  The only spring that's ever stretched was a clutch pedal return spring. 

Time to get worried.   A common failure mode for high mileage heavy duty engines is a dropped valve due to a broken valve spring.   That's why heavy duty overhauls include new valve springs.    Case/IH products seem to worst about it.

Always possible, not worried, easy repair anyway.  The reason I bought it was it was the only one with enough power and hydraulics, with a regular maintenance schedule.  The wiring harness was complete shit, but the inside of everything (cooling system, gear cases, crankcase, hydraulic system) were factory pristine.  Clean and shiny.  Good compression, no smoke.  (Most farmers apparently beat the hell out of stuff. From what I've seen anyway. Same with trucks. You want a decent truck, don't look on a farm.)  

There has been a long running debate over whether leaving your mags fully loaded weakens the springs.  Even long before the Internet in the gunny press.  There are as many opinions as there are writers.  Personally, I have had a few weak magazine springs, though almost exclusively in wartime production pistols.  Most likely, the necessity to slap 'em together and get 'em out the door resulted in poor choice of materials and/or improper heat treating.  It might also have a lot to do with the fact that they're upwards of 75 years old now.

Back in the early '70s I worked as a mechanic in a new car dealership.  We had a rash of broken valve springs on engines with a few hundred to a few thousand miles on them.  This caused damage ranging from a bent push rod to a totally trashed engine.  Looking at the broken ends of the springs, it was a raggedy fracture, almost like the spring material was formed in layers.

Farmers usually have little in the way of time or money for routine maintenance.  When repairs are unavoidable, they are often as not a patch job, just enough to keep the machine running long enough to finish the task at hand.  When/if the subsidies come around, then you buy a new machine.  I did, however, once visit a dairy farm that ran 50+ year old Divco milk delivery trucks that looked and ran pretty much mint.

Had a good size lot of 'Nam era M-16 mags given me back in the late 90's. Everything from 5 round to banana clips. When I went in the Army in the early '80s we heard horror stories how those clips were notorious for weak springs, even just a few years later. Over 20 years down the road, my large lot of surplus hadn't a weak spring among it, and the high capacity mags (25 of 'em) I kept still get packed to capacity without a problem..

sw