• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so how is everyone surviving the pandemic

Quote:
On 11/1/2020 at 0:36 PM, shortleash said:

are you people insane...i bet you still use 8 track player too...

No.  All my tube accepting electronics were made post 2010, just FYI.

Quote:
20 hours ago, littlejohn said:

Yeah CTC about 5.  The picture tubes were manufactured before the 'rare earth' red phosphors became available.  Everything else had to be turned down to match it.  If memory serves, you could fit a CTC10 tube with the bright reds.

It was the CTC-10.  I think there was a version with a remote but ours didn't have it.  It made some amazing high voltage corona noises though.  We weren't supposed to sit too close....  

There were still a fair number of the old 21-inch round screen sets in service when I got into the business in the mid-70s.  Mostly RCA and Zenith.  A lot of them were quite a piece of furniture, so people would spend the money to fix them.  We had a place that would rebuild the tubes for about $45 our cost (a new one was around $175).  I still remember the part number, 21FJP22A.

Tube audio?  If you still love vinyl records, you need a tube amp for them to sound "right."  At least the preamp.

my brother should be here not me...he built his first short wave radio when he was 14 and got a near perfect score on the act...then graduated from colgate...got a computer science degree when they were still housed in school of mines and engineering..

The official "I Hereby Claim.........."   sub-thread:      

where anything is yours simply by declaring "I hereby claim......"   (for context see responses to recent "executive" tweets.)

"I hereby claim"....... 

..........without restriction full rights to any critter that makes a similar claim on my attention at any jobsite until I leave said jobsite.    [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sleep.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="-_-" width="20" />

its been a long pandemic already...how long are people prepared to hold out or survive...whatever...

One maker of high end audio stuff (Carver maybe?) shows the 'Integrated tube amp" and it got raves.  He drilled the rivets out of the case and showed his best solid state amp, a small heater, several neons to give a warm glow, and 20 pounds of lead.  The audio fed through an aural exciter chip which made it sound 'tube'.

Quote:
28 minutes ago, littlejohn said:

One maker of high end audio stuff (Carver maybe?) shows the 'Integrated tube amp" and it got raves.  He drilled the rivets out of the case and showed his best solid state amp, a small heater, several neons to give a warm glow, and 20 pounds of lead.  The audio fed through an aural exciter chip which made it sound 'tube'.

My feeling is this was before the loudness wars in digital formatting.  There's a reason tubes are making a comeback, and it's largely because they cover up poor mixing and compression artifacts with a nice, analog glowy sound.  Transistors can't fake that, hard as they may try.

If the source material is uncompressed and good (most isn't) tubes aren't needed and solid state is arguably better.

This is how my familie's first color TV looked when we got it.

[Image: heath1.jpg.a6768a84b33273f8521b029c9491cf7f.jpg]

We had one of those.  They were a dream to service, they had all the test patterns and setup instruments built in. 

Didn't come with a cabinet though--