• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns

[Image: 31250535_831278293726019_827072814348837...fea481.jpg]

Yes I know, technically it's a .45 Auto.

I guess this would go here; no where else seems to fit:

Guy is suing over his SIG Sauer spontaneously firing "out of battery" (slide open).

Which is bad enough, I wouldn't own one of the damn things if that's even remotely possible; I did a lot of reading and getting advice before getting a (rather heavy) P95 Ruger that specifically DOESN't try to kill me unless I get supremely stupid (finger on trigger).

But WTF am I seeing in the picture?  It looks all the world like the barrel is made of some kind of composite, with a metal coating that has peeled back when it misfired.

I was more than a little irritated when the brakes on my truck locked up, to find that the composite caliper parts had broken and jammed in the bore.  But gun barrels?  How could that possibly go horribly wrong?

I might note that I'm also seeing a crack in the frame behind the trigger . . . . 

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="https://zoowg.org/uploads/monthly_2018_05/P320.jpeg.d8a6da6fa28badea5f73ebaba28677ef.jpeg" data-fileid="3468">[Image: P320.thumb.jpeg.415c54f73a73e49d16f46a69e02147ec.jpeg]</a>

Quote:
18 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

But WTF am I seeing in the picture?  It looks all the world like the barrel is made of some kind of composite, with a metal coating that has peeled back when it misfired.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="3468" href="https://zoowg.org/uploads/monthly_2018_05/P320.jpeg.d8a6da6fa28badea5f73ebaba28677ef.jpeg">[Image: P320.thumb.jpeg.415c54f73a73e49d16f46a69e02147ec.jpeg]</a>

I think the metal "layer" is the remains of a blown-out brass bullet cartridge.

Resident Hyaena ^..^

I'd like to know more about this.

For one thing we only have this guys word that it was 'out of battery' when this happened.

Same thing could have happened if he over powered a hand load.

Lots of government types, (pick 3 letters) carry sig.

If this was a common problem, we would have heard more instances of this happening.

A guns can have problems. Even the vaunted Glock were known for K-Booms from not fully supporting cases.

Quote:
1 hour ago, Ramseys said:

I'd like to know more about this.

For one thing we only have this guys word that it was 'out of battery' when this happened.

Same thing could have happened if he over powered a hand load.

Lots of government types, (pick 3 letters) carry sig.

If this was a common problem, we would have heard more instances of this happening.

A guns can have problems. Even the vaunted Glock were known for K-Booms from not fully supporting cases.

You can google it; there are apparently other problems as well, some references I passed over about suits from them going off when dropped.

Oh BTW, sorry as bloody hell about not providing enough details to let you do just that (They say memory is the second thing to go.....); google "SIG Sauer P320 lawsuit".  Apparently this is the second try, they changed design in Aug after previous discharge issues.  More than one lawsuit over this specific thing, in Missouri and another in Illinois.  Lack of "disconnector safety" (which I assume is the feature that blocks firing without the trigger being half-way depressed in the NATO pattern handguns like the P95).  

Yeah I was a little underwhelmed by the Glock; it was a HUGE improvement over previous offerings and the first widely distributed composite-frame gun (remember the "Oh gawd the world is going to end; they don't show up on X-ray!" panic?), but got majorly over-priced, and not as well suited to my needs as the Ruger.  

I think the 320 problems are mostly caused by a company making it's first striker fired gun.

If you drop the gun just right, and it hits just at the proper angle, it will go off. Well used to. All fixed now.

Just like my "70" series 1911. No firing pin block in that either. Drop it muzzle down and inertia could make the firing pin go foreword with enough power to strike the primer hard enough to make the gum go off.

So I got an extra powerful firing pin spring to keep that from happening.

Firearm 'work arounds' are nothing new. 6 shooters from the 1800's that you only load 5.

Don't put pointy bullets in a tube magazine.

And light bulb companies shouldn't make mini-guns.  

Unfortunately mistakes made by firearm companies, can lead to death.

Same with cars. (recall anyone?)

Look at the airplane companies that have had to 'retro' fit something on their planes because the NTSB made 'em.

Should new firearms released to the public be perfect? 

Yes, yes they should. But... they are made by humans.

And so it goes.

And pharma companies should actually test their pills before market.  

Quote:
6 hours ago, Ramseys said:

Don't put pointy bullets in a tube magazine.

Made my day.  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="xD" width="20" />   Never assume. . . . .

Quote:

Yes, yes they should. But... they are made by humans.

That is a problem.  Maybe we should let goats make them . . . . . 

NTSB suggests changes in airplanes and/or procedures now and again.  the FAA makes the changes happen (called Airworthiness Directives or ADs).  They're compulsory.  Some within a time or cycle frame, occasionally 'before next flight' which makes the aircraft unairworthy until the AD has been complied with.    Not all NTSB recommendations end up being compulsory.

Quote:
2 hours ago, littlejohn said:

NTSB suggests changes in airplanes and/or procedures now and again.  the FAA makes the changes happen (called Airworthiness Directives or ADs).  They're compulsory.  Some within a time or cycle frame, occasionally 'before next flight' which makes the aircraft unairworthy until the AD has been complied with.    Not all NTSB recommendations end up being compulsory.

Ok. Thanks for that.

The point I was trying to make was that: Cars break, Planes crash, and Guns don't always work right.

There's good and bad news in the gun community.

The good is that more and more folks are coming to the realization that, "Ban all Guns", isn't going to solve anything.

And with crime statistics going down as gun ownership goes up... The news that mass shootings have been stopped by another person with a gun, have slowly made its way out to the general public. There's been a 30% rise in self-defence gun use. In the case of Rape. If the woman has no gun, then 49% of the time the perp is successful. If the woman has a gun, the attacker success rate drops to 0.04%. I guess the old saying, "No one rapes a .38" is true.

And in bad news. We're loosing some old gun companies.   

Several years ago, Marlin was bought by Remington, who promptly fired all the well trained workers and had their own workforce,  who up until now had only worked on bolt action rifles. And now that they are finally getting their shit together, Remington is filling for Chapter 11.

Winchester closed down earlier this year. Rifles are made in Japan or by FN.

Colt can't seem to get out from under the bean counters and make new guns that people want. They lost all of their military contracts, and what they do 'make', is outsourced. 

As far as other American companies go. Smith & Wesson and Ruger are still going strong. Springfield isn't the 'old' Springfield, and for along time,, and still do, just repackage guns from Croatia. IDK if they make any guns here in the US.

Beretta, Glock and Sig, now have production in the US.

Good news, there are lots and lots of AR platform builders.... The bad news, there are lots and lots of AR platform builders.

The old stalwarts, Bushmaster, Stag, and DPMS are now just part of the pack.

And there's suppressors. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 'Hearing protection act' will pass one day, but I"m not holding my breath, just yet. 

Anyone with more news, or corrections, chime in please.