• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns

Guns that appear to be something other that a gun have been illegal (in the U.S., anyway) since 1934.  Apparently, things other than guns that look like guns are not illegal under Federal law, but carrying them in public is stupid nonetheless.

In my State, carrying a "facsimile firearm" on your person, in public, is a misdemeanor.  The cell phone case pictured in the article would definitely qualify.  I'm really surprised that gun-paranoid California (where the photos were taken) doesn't have a similar law.

Thank You Hiway!    

(I tried to get the link to post, got 200 error).

Quote:
1 hour ago, DingoJay said:

I'm really surprised that gun-paranoid California (where the photos were taken) doesn't have a similar law.

It's called Darwin's law....... 

Well...and I am only allowed to legally transport my airsoft guns in public in a LOCKED hardcase, with the mags and the BBs carried in another bag....German law. And in the Netherlands, you´re not allowed to even own an airsoft gun if you´re not a member of the Dutch airsoft association...still prefer to live in a non militarised society though...

I've got a decent collection including a genuine russian AK47 and even an old 8ga double barrel, but my favorite gun to carry around is an old 32-20 wcf single action revolver.  bullets cost a lot more than a 9mm, and not nearly as much variety in bullet design, as ammo has to be special-ordered from OWS or handloaded, but the way it handles and the accuracy make up for that.   If I need something with more punch or I plan on firing a lot of rounds I'll pack a Taurus 454 casull, or a 1911 or a Magnum Research BFR, but most of the time the old 32-20 is always with me. Haven't had to put holes in anyone yet thankfully, but I've had to "show" it to a few over the years. one of the perks of living in such a deep country part of Kentucky is you dont get many troublemakers.

as for WWII german weapons, like any manufacturer some were better than others, for example I have an original karabiner 98k mauser rifle which is a fine example of some of their better work.  a lot of modern bolt action rifles use a variation of the mauser 98k action because it was solidly built even by modern standards. sure its a bit on the heavy side compared to modern composites, but the smoothness and reliability of the action is hard to beat.

I just sold a rather large chunk of my collection to pay for a house but...

Currently just finished a 6.5 Grendel AR15 build, still working the bugs out. Norenco "paratrooper" SKS (16" barrel) because they're simple, rugged, dependable and effective. Hi Point 995 carbine because cheap, ugly, good shooter and reliable. Swiss K31, scoped with a modernized stock. Various shotguns. Glock 22 that I finished not long ago - used G22C slide, LWD barrel, TFX sights (well worth the money). Still have my Smith and Wesson .38 as my daily carry and my Taurus Raging Bull .454

I've been considering building an AR "pistol" in 300 Blackout and a 10 in 6.5 Creed.

While most of my gun collecting and shooting is more of a fun hobby than anything else, the basis of my belief regarding gun ownership is that I'd rather have my life and the lives of those I love in hands that I can trust, mine. I'd be just fine in a society where there were no false pretenses or facades of government protection and everyone understood that they were on their own. If someone wants to harm you, no law is going to stop them and with all the hate I've seen pointed at us zoos, I think that it's practical and sensible for us to own, train with and carry the means to defend ourselves although I respect the wishes of those who choose not to.

Lyc

I guess this should be a warning!

Factory ammo can SUCK.

I was out shooting my Python. Firing .38 specials. WINCHESTER white box,  just clanging some steel.

After several cylinders full I had reloaded for about the 5th time.

Round number 4 went 'thud'.

I held the gun in a safe direction for a good '30' count and then opened the cylinder and dumped out 4 empty and 2 un-fired.

Well I thought I'd just have a look down the bore. And about a 1/32' from the muzzle was a shinny copper bullet stuck in the rifling.

A wooden dowel and lots of beating, I got the sucker backed out.

So all you trigger jockeys out there that like to rapid fire, stay very very vigilant for squib loads.

Or you could have a bulged or blown out barrel.

We've progressed from 'beer cans in the gravel pit' which were never held before 1P on Sunday and 10A Sattidy and weekdays.

Quote:
On 2/27/2019 at 1:41 AM, Ramseys said:

So all you trigger jockeys out there that like to rapid fire, stay very very vigilant for squib loads.

Rapid fire?  Hah!  Even people behind me are at risk if I tried ripping them off "gangsta style".  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="9_9" width="20" />

Take time to aim, one round is all I need.....