• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns

I really wanted to put this over in the 'Prepping' forum. But I promised not to make it another gun forum.

So I hope this carries over.

If some one in the big gun manufactures wanted to make a gun for preppers , Ruger done did it.

They've just come our with a single action, (cowboy style) revolver. In .22lr

MSRP is $265.00 But everything I've read on it says it's going to be a sub $200.00 gun. In the US.

Why so cheap? Well it's not blued, it's Cerakote, and just fixed sights.

But for a SHTF gun, I think it's going to be hard to beat for someone on a budget.

[Image: WRANGLER_COLORS.jpg.3849efa3b7d5dc0987a6...f7e1c8.jpg]

And no I don't have stock in Ruger.

Quote:
18 hours ago, Ramseys said:

I really wanted to put this over in the 'Prepping' forum. But I promised not to make it another gun forum.

So I hope this carries over.

If some one in the big gun manufactures wanted to make a gun for preppers , Ruger done did it.

They've just come our with a single action, (cowboy style) revolver. In .22lr

MSRP is $265.00 But everything I've read on it says it's going to be a sub $200.00 gun. In the US.

Why so cheap? Well it's not blued, it's Cerakote, and just fixed sights.

But for a SHIT gun, I think it's going to be hard to beat for someone on a budget.

[Image: WRANGLER_COLORS.jpg.3849efa3b7d5dc0987a6...f7e1c8.jpg]

And no I don't have stock in Ruger.

Also, aluminum frame, as opposed to the steel in their other .22LR SA guns. Makes me wonder what that will do to the balance of it.

And about $400 less. Looks like they're going for the entry-level market. Kinda cute, though, and sure to be functional.

Throw-aways. They'll be alright close-up, maybe, but that's where you're going to be using them and they're cheap enough...

sw

Seems more of a novelty item to me, for cowboy wanna-be's. 

OK, yeah, a reputable mfgr, so not total crap like the zinc pot-metal crap out there, but little stopping power, negligible varmint/critter accuracy, pretty awkward for c.c.   Not sure about prepping.  So maybe decoration.

I got my P-95 (semi-auto 9mm Ruger) brand new in hard case with 2 magazines and fast-loader, priced at $199.  (Although I coughed up the extra $15 for stainless steel, so no rusting.)  A good general utility piece that will stop a critter (2 legged or four) and be around long after I'm not, and won't go off in my pocket and neuter me.      

I wouldn't give $200 for a .22 revolver though.  

Quote:
4 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

I wouldn't give $200 for a .22 revolver though.  

You bring up several good points.

22 LR is NOT a 'man-stopper'. You won't bring down an elk. Or stop a bear.

But I never said you couldn't have more than one gun.

Most everyone in the prepping world has said that you should have a 22lr in your kit.

I could see using shot shells in it to kill rats and mice that are eating my food.

There's been several zillion rabbits and squirrels that have been taken with that caliber.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to be shot with one.

You can get sub-sonic loads so's not to frighten the neighbors.

And some folks just don't want a center fire handgun.

I guess I'm just being a bit of a 'fan-boy'' cause I have a Blackhawk.

One of several Rugers I own. So you won't see me bashing your P95. (Why does Ruger get such little love?)

Anyway, thanks for pointing out some of the draw backs this and other 22s have.

High Speed video (42,000 frames/sec) of 22LR fired from a Walther P22 into 20% ballistic gelatin.

<div>
<iframe allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="344" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pFsDDgztf50?feature=oembed" width="459"></iframe>

</div>

I've assassinated folks with .22lr, and with shitty little pot-metal guns. That's what you want them for. That said, I see more possibility in these, though my Browning Hi-power will remain my main "kit" gun. I'd let a few rattle around if they were cheap enough.

sw

I'm certainly not knocking .22 LR.  I have a single-shot .22 rifle that I've head-shot coyotes with.  And a semi-auto .22 rifle with scope that I pick off rabbits in the garden from the house.  I'm just saying a .22 handgun doesn't do a handgun's jobs very well.

And WTF is up with the price of .22 LR ammo?  It used to be 99 cents for a box of 100 (maybe I'm dating myself a bit here).  Then you couldn't get it retail at all.  Now it's almost as much as 9mm.  Really guys?!?  

Oh, and there's an interesting little exploding .22 round, explodes somewhere downrange.  If you really want to freak out the neighbors..... 

Quote:
22 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Oh, and there's an interesting little exploding .22 round, explodes somewhere downrange.  If you really want to freak out the neighbors..... 

Probably  on a par with the exploding airgun pellets an enthusiast demo'd for me. When they hit, they make a tiny little snapping noise, and leave a dark powder stain on the target. We were shooting at an old motorcycle helmet and they didn't even dent the shell of it. Probably used the same type and amount of powder as the paper caps used in cap pistols, or maybe stick matches.

ruger did that eons ago ... i still got the old 22lr and yes it is lr and not a short ... black hawk .. dad gave it to me when i was a lad back in the 70's looks like a cannon till you see the tiny hole in the big barrel ... heavy bastid too

Also of note... you can not fan the hammer like they do in the old westerns... unless you want your palm ripped up

Also still have the savage single shot 22 octagon barrel youth model... got a real short stock

wish i still had the old 22/410 ... no idea what make it was anymore

Actually, a .22 LR with a hollowpoint slug has reasonable knockdown power for small game and varmints.  What >i< want is a Venus .22 submachine gun.  I only ever saw one, an Air Farce OSI guy had it.  I'd pay the license fee for one.  Sounds like a big zipper or a small fart when you shoot it.