• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns

Quote:
On 9/18/2019 at 5:44 PM, heavyhorse said:

Oh, and this would be why you don't walk in the woods anymore without a 9mm semiauto as minimum.  Track shoes won't do it... 

(No, not me.)

If you were somewhere where you were likely to run into a wild / feral hog that was determined to kick your ass, I would recommend something a bit more potent than 9mm.

Quote:
55 minutes ago, DingoJay said:

If you were somewhere where you were likely to run into a wild / feral hog that was determined to kick your ass, I would recommend something a bit more potent than 9mm.

This is what the Game and Fish Dept. guy suggested, and indeed the same make and model he carries (although he didn't suggest a make and model, his specs narrowed it down to few choices).  I did however opt for stainless steel metal parts as the rifle I used before rusted rather badly from exposure to cold and humidity.  He also recommended FMJ RP, as boars are almost wearing body armor to protect them from each other's tusks, and frag rounds tend to shatter on impact.  "Better to make a small deep hole than a shallow crater, you're more likely to hit something important" as he said.  There was also video of him shooting feral hogs in a trap, seemingly effectively.  

99.99% of the time you won't get close enough to hunt hogs with a pistol.   It's the late night surprises you carry a pistol for and the range on those will be single digit yards.   It is common locally to kill them with a .22 at that range on the theory that small deep holes work better and aim is easier.

Quote:
1 hour ago, caikgoch said:

99.99% of the time you won't get close enough to hunt hogs with a pistol.   It's the late night surprises you carry a pistol for and the range on those will be single digit yards.   It is common locally to kill them with a .22 at that range on the theory that small deep holes work better and aim is easier.

Indeed.  This is not for hunting, it's a self-defense issue while running trap line on my farm.  And that carrying a long gun through fences, gulleys, brush, is not practical or safe.

This might get a few comments. 

<div>
<iframe allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T6kUvi72s0Y?feature=oembed" width="480"></iframe>

</div>

Excellent information, thanks for that.

It's all about replicatin' the data, and you gotta love data. The last word, carry what you're comfortable with, makes the most sense I can think of. Why carry at all if you're afraid to shoot what you're holding?

sw

What's in the violin case?

...it's just a violin! 

[Image: IMG_20191013_152513_150.jpg.d3310a4a9867...a1e7a0.jpg]

You just never know when you're gonna need a good stringed instrument..... 

Quote:
On 20.10.2019 at 4:18 AM, Hiway said:

What's in the violin case?

...it's just a violin! 

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="https://zoowg.org/uploads/monthly_2019_10/IMG_20191013_152513_150.jpg.d3310a4a9867dda9773d2601b8a1e7a0.jpg" data-fileid="3784">[Image: IMG_20191013_152513_150.jpg.d3310a4a9867...a1e7a0.jpg]</a>

Looks more like a typewriter to me