• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns

Quote:
11 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Yeah I can see that being a CC piece... 

Where I live, there's permitless Open Carry, and where I'm going to move to soon (hopefully) it's Constitutional Carry: meaning permitless carry concealed or open.

Not saying you couldn't get (or need) a permit.  Just saying it's going to be about as convenient to carry and draw as going through daily activities packing a 30-06 down your pant leg.  Your assailant (or wild hog) will be on you before you can get off your first round.  

Particularly if you get it engraved, it needs a hand-rubbed mahogany stand on the mantle over the fireplace, like my old man's damascus barrel shotgun.  

Quote:
4 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Not saying you couldn't get (or need) a permit.  Just saying it's going to be about as convenient to carry and draw as going through daily activities packing a 30-06 down your pant leg.  Your assailant (or wild hog) will be on you before you can get off your first round.  

Particularly if you get it engraved, it needs a hand-rubbed mahogany stand on the mantle over the fireplace, like my old man's damascus barrel shotgun.  

Well,  most of this is still in the planning phases too. I'm likely going to go with a big-bore, short-cylinder caliber to make it easier to carry (e.g., 50AE, 454, etc...).

The way I see large calibers, especially the ol' single-actions: they aren't meant to be drawn and pseudo-tactical, they're one-shot-stoppers. They require practice and technique to use correctly. If you're good with one, there won't be anything for the cops to clean up because you need one shot. That's just me though, know plenty of folks in my area that regularly carry 44 Mag for instance (that being said, 44 Mag is a short cylinder cartridge unlike the crazy length of the 500, making carry easier).

Also, a Damascus barrel shotgun sounds really neat, definitely a collectors piece and not meant to be 'used and abused'.

A .50 AE revolver?  I wasn't aware there was such a thing.  Looks like the most common one is the Magnum Research BFR.  Not for me, thanks.  I'm old and not very large.  I used to have pretty good upper body strength in the Bad Old Days when I used to wrestle automatic transmissions and cylinder heads and such around but that's 40 years ago now.

Anyway, .50 AE is a rimless cartridge and you'd have to use moon clips, which are a PITA.  To each his own, I guess.

Quote:
3 hours ago, DingoJay said:

Anyway, .50 AE is a rimless cartridge and you'd have to use moon clips, which are a PITA.  To each his own, I guess.

I don't believe the BFR can use / requires Moon Clips, it's single action and operated by a loading gate and transfer bar.

The BFR does come in a *lot* of calibers too, everything from .30 up to .500 S&W Mag. That includes 45-70 Govt. and Win 30-30. They're really nice guns, and I do plan on getting one custom-built with custom barrel length, caliber, etc... Just trying to work out the details in my head: may even do a hi-vis site on the front of it.

I love Clint.

<div>
<iframe allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gE9qooFUqsk?feature=oembed" width="480"></iframe>

</div>

Haha, the fuck was that video <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/profile/11-ramseys/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11" href="<___base_url___>/profile/11-ramseys/">@Ramseys</a>? That's actually kinda funny. But yeah, the old '44 Magnum...' line is what got a lot of people to buy 44 Mag, and no one really knew what they were getting in to.

I've not shot a big-bore in ages: but I know you fucking respect em', period!

Love the title too! If in a street fight, I'd take his recommendation too, I'm in it to win. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Quote:
2 hours ago, WinterGreenWolf said:

But yeah, the old '44 Magnum...' line is what got a lot of people to buy 44 Mag, and no one really knew what they were getting in to.

"This is the most powerful handgun in the world, and will blow your head clean off". That line?

Yea I was around for that. There were a lot of used S&W Model 29"s with a "half a box of ammo", for sale.

But the guys that didn't develop a massive flinch, went on to start the 'Big Bore' craze.

Then they noticed that '45 Long Colt' had a big 'ol case. And of course they started blowing up Blackhawks.

So Ruger made the Super Blackhawk and basically dared 'em to blow up that one.

Guys like  Casull and Linebaugh made ever bigger cases, pushing every bigger bullets down straining barrels.

BFR said, 'Ok, you want bigger?' Here's a gun chambered in the mild shooting .45-70, or a bit more zing the .444 Marlin rifle calibers.

About this time the .357 guys were feeling left out, so Elgin Gates come up with .357 Maximum. But they jumped the gun a bit. (I know pun intended)

The metallurgy wasn't quite there yet, and the gasses coming out of the cylinder gap, 'blow torched' the top strap of the gun, making a nice groove in the metal.

Like someone from a '70s Disco, these guy kept 'tweaking'.  

SMITH & WESSON 460 MAGNUM,  Ruger's .480 and of course the DESERT EAGLE .50 CALIBER.

So if you are a re-loader and like buying powder in large enough quantities that the ATF comes around, now is your time to shine.

Me? I'll just stick to my puny .44 Mag and .460 Rowland.

[Image: MTM1MzA2OTI2MzM4MzE2NzY2.jpg.2ce29fb01dc...b62878.jpg]

All very, very true. Not to mention the folks that couldn't even do a one-shot from a 44 Mag... I'll be the first to admit some of these bigger calibers are beyond ridiculous for any more 'general purpose' use. They're fun, they're cool, they can blow a lot of shit up: but they're kinda 'over the top'.

That's a really nice piece BTW,. Even if I do go with a smaller caliber, I'll still likely get a custom BFR, they're expensive sure, but they're very well made from what I hear, my favorite type of action on a gun, and have all the 'modern single-action' safety and features (free-spinning cylinder, adjustable sites, transfer bar, etc...).

Quote:
22 hours ago, Ramseys said:

I love Clint.

<div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo">
<div>
<iframe allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gE9qooFUqsk?feature=oembed" width="480"></iframe>

</div>

</div>

Words of wisdom, that.  Or a headshot.  Cause yeah, every asshole lucid enough to think ahead has body armor as part of his Prepper kit.