• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reincarnation

My herds reaction to her is odd. The buckskin mare is herd boss, and steers the others away from "Misty" at turn-out. Neither challenges the other, but the buckskin holds her head lowered & tail tight as she passes. "Misty" raises to full height, ears up, but neither look at the other. I put out hay as the grass hasn't grown yet, in plates spread out along the fence-line, and the buckskin leads the herd right to it. "Misty" lets them eat, staying at a distance for a bit, then advances to the hay. The mares all move back, buckskin first, a few feet away as the new horse eats. All hold their heads low and none make a sound, but the buckskin softly paws the ground. "Misty" eats her fill, looks the mares over with her head high, whinnys and trots off. This is the first time the buckskin makes any fuss, rearing and snorting after the new mare is well away.

"Misty" ignores the herd through the day, and the herd avoids her by moving away whenever she comes near. If they don't move, she rears and chases them off, the buckskin protecting the rest.

Her only friend seems to be my Border, who will spend the day in the pasture with her, but the Border spends the day alone in the pasture anyway just watching. When I go in the pasture she ignores me as well if I am approached by the herd. When they leave me, she comes near. She's still a proud mare then, head and ears raised, but lets me touch her and talk to her. She 'talks' back softly, shows no nervousness and lets me put my hands nearly everywhere. Her head only comes down if I put mine against her neck. Then I feel it's weight and a light snort. She decides when she's had enough though and walks away. The dog can follow, but if I try she runs.

A strange mare.

sw

Messages In This Thread
Reincarnation - by silverwolf1 - 04-04-2020, 11:12 AM
Reincarnation - by elshara - 04-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Reincarnation - by silverwolf1 - 04-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Reincarnation - by Bear28 - 04-08-2020, 03:10 AM
Reincarnation - by silverwolf1 - 04-10-2020, 11:18 AM
Reincarnation - by heavyhorse - 04-10-2020, 12:16 PM
Reincarnation - by silverwolf1 - 04-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Reincarnation - by HeartBeatOfTheBeast - 06-27-2020, 10:34 PM
Reincarnation - by heavyhorse - 06-28-2020, 04:06 AM