• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to properly socialize with horses (help)

First of all, nothing sexual in this topic. I just mean the title in specific. I know sexual behavior is important in species in general but that's not the goal here. However I choose to ask you, because I trust you more than the normal guides and people I see around that just happen to own horses and don't really care about them.

I'm working at a farm around once a week, and there are many horses there. I always try to learn how to properly socialize with animals when I first meet them, learning their body language and facial expressions etc. It seems it's better to approach horses in some form of "bow way" instead of straight foward (and always from an angle they can see me, not from behind), and relatively slowly. Also their ears pointed up seem to be a good (or not bad) sign. Anyway I'm learning these things but no matter how hard I try, they will never let me touch them. I can get close to them but at the moment I raise my hand or intend to caress them or touch them at all, they decide to avoid me and walk some steps away. So I tried leaving that goal for the future and just trying to get accepted in the group by at least letting me be around and close to them, and try to touch them only later whenever I gain enough trust, but that never seems to happen.

Is it because they only see me once a week? (not often enough to trust me?) Maybe I should wait for a moment when they stop eating? although they are always eating. Or maybe there are a lot more things I'm ignoring/not being aware of?

thank you

Messages In This Thread
How to properly socialize with horses (help) - by Ara - 09-26-2017, 10:28 PM