• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughful opinions sought.

Honestly if you're fostering and the goal is to find a new, non-zoo home for her, a regular spay would be the best option if you want to have her altered. It will be very hard to find a pet home for a hormonally intact female, as most people don't want to deal with heats, behavior, aggression to other pets, etc. So she'd likely just end up going through two surgeries: an expensive ovary saving spay with you, and then removal of the ovaries in a new home.  Any surgery is inherently risky and unless you find a very unique, knowlegable home who would prefer a hormonally intact dog, it'd be double the surgery risk.  So if it were me I'd say either do a regular spay, or keep her intact for now and let the new home have her spayed.  If she's mature there's very little medical risk to a conventional spay. 

I'm not a huge fan of spay and neuter personally but, the average pet owner honestly isn't usually responsible enough to handle an intact dog, fully or just hormonally.  So for the sake of finding homes for dogs and preventing unwanted puppies in the care of irresponsible owners, altering is usually a "necessary evil" in my opinion. Better for a dog to be altered and have a loving home than no home at all if you ask me. 

Messages In This Thread
Thoughful opinions sought. - by Eagle - 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Thoughful opinions sought. - by battlecrops - 06-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Thoughful opinions sought. - by threelegs - 06-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Thoughful opinions sought. - by Eagle - 06-28-2018, 11:31 PM
Thoughful opinions sought. - by Eagle - 06-29-2018, 01:54 AM
Thoughful opinions sought. - by heavyhorse - 06-29-2018, 04:44 AM
Thoughful opinions sought. - by silverwolf1 - 06-29-2018, 10:16 AM