• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help.

You have to be more selective in your searches.

I highly recommend against a tubal ligation for bitches based on my own experience; its delicate surgery and not 100% effective (she may still get pregnant, so its unreliable).  I put a German Shepherd through it; the surgeon cut the wrong tissue and she was bleeding for over a month and took some two months to recover, and she still got pregnant [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/unsure.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":/" width="20" />

I instead recommend what's called an Ovary-Sparing Spay or OSS.  It removes the uterus, but not the ovaries -- so she can't have puppies, won't drip blood during heats but will still have them, will not impact her hormones and, as a cannot-understand-the-importance of benefit, she can't get pyometra.  Unfortunately, like vasectomies, it can be difficult to find a vet willing to do this instead of pushing spays/castrations only.

Here is a list of U.S. veterinarians willing to perform an O.S.S. and/or vasectomy:  https://www.parsemus.org/projects/veterinarian-list/

Messages In This Thread
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help. - by Eagle - 09-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help. - by Eagle - 09-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help. - by Eagle - 09-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help. - by Eagle - 09-08-2018, 06:46 AM