• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help.

It may seem cruel or unethical to keep one's spouse locked in a fence, but its unfortunately a necessary and responsible curtailment of freedom in the interests of health and safety.  The uterus is where conception takes place.  I hope you are well aware that there is a terrible overpopulation of all the popular pets.  And sterile pyometra is nothing to scoff at.

A bitch may develop ovarian cancer; my roommate's recently did and she had to have a full spay.  Wolves, the wild ancestors from which all dogs descend, have a natural lifespan in the wild of only 5 or 6 years.  Domesticated dogs can readily live 9-12 years, some 18 or even more.  Trust me when I say its worth it to give them every year you can.  Fences keep them from getting hit by a car or in a fatal fight with other animals; excision of the uterus will prevent unwanted pups whom may die due to a lack of resources to care for them or homes to place them in and a terrible, fatal disease later in life.  Its a trade off, but I think worth it.

No, I have not  yet gotten one, but I am going to.  I have several zoo friends whom have gone through a lot of this, gotten and OSS and are happy with it.  I am also being more careful and not finding "just anyone" willing to do the surgery -- that can get you a zoo-friendly but inexperienced vet tech as I think was what happened with my German Shepherdess resulting in the pain and suffering she incurred from the botched ligation.

I again point you to the list I linked to earlier of vets willing to do an OSS for a bitch or a vasectomy for a stud.

Messages In This Thread
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help. - by Eagle - 09-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help. - by Eagle - 09-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help. - by Eagle - 09-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help. - by Eagle - 09-08-2018, 06:46 AM