• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preparedness in the event of fire, and a fire at my place

I was going to put this in "Farm & Kennel", where it belongs, but decided to start it here and move it later. My barns caught fire last night. 

It brought to mind the subject of how well prepared we should be in the event of a fire. First and foremost is of course the safety of yourself and your animals. Anywhere else they will tell you to save yourself and let the stock die if you must, but this isn't anywhere else is it? I'll die for my horses and sheep, and I'm not even in love with them, some of you are. So, here's some of what you should do in my area, and what happened last night...

Egress: More than one way in the barn, more than one pasture gate.

What happened at my place: At 3am, I woke hearing my barn alarms going off & smelling smoke, & called 911 while running to the barn. I got out to the main barn with it burning from the top down, ran past the ewe's stall throwing open the metal outside stall gate (already hot enough to burn my hand bad) and began opening horse stalls. The 3yo Border Collie, still being trained and with no command from me, drove the frightened sheep & lambs to the high pasture. Helluva dog. I'd have lost them otherwise. I was running the horses out the side gate, letting them into the practice ring, when the fire jumped to the hay barn. I'm a good distance away from the volunteer fire department, that has to first get a crew...

Fighting flames: If you can, have a source of water nearby. If you live out in the boondocks, like we all want to, dig a fire pond if possible. If you're on a line, put in a hydrant. It's not as expensive as you think and pays for itself in just one fire. If you have a river or stream nearby you might be all set. I also recommend buying your own high pressure pump. Waiting on help can cost you. Extinguishers are nice, but we're talking fires too big for them.

Horses and sheep safe, I did get to my pump, in the machine shed. I have a fire pond and a nearby steam. I chose the stream, leaving the pond for the fire crew, and began trying to spray the base of the horse barn. It was burning slower than the hay barn. I couldn't handle the hose alone though. Neighbors showed up, some with pumps of their own, and the first fire truck which was a small rescue, and we got water on both barns. Embers were blowing toward the house and other barns and we started wetting them down. The machine shed still caught despite our efforts, as did the duck house.

The results here:

Animals lost- 12 Pekin Ducks

Barns- Horse barn, where the fire started; severely damaged. Hay barn, burned to the ground. Machine shed also. Tractors, power tools and equipment lost in machine shed. Various outbuildings and house, slight damage.

The sheep are in a pen in the high pasture for now. The horses at a neighbors. I have second degree burns on my hand and left butt cheek (don't fight a fire naked).

Ideas on what I did wrong or could have done better?

sw

Messages In This Thread
Preparedness in the event of fire, and a fire at my place - by silverwolf1 - 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM