• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preparedness in the event of fire, and a fire at my place

Quote:
2 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

Spare tractors, manure spreaders, bobcats etc. ? Hmm. Hadn't looked at it like that. They are the losses that hurt. Hard to run a place without them. I also had some kinda irreplaceable horse-drawn equipment I used here that went up. The shop should have been in a separate building and wasn't, so all the tools went too. Neighbors have been great letting me use their excavator and dozer, and even helping me, so I don't have to pay someone and that takes a load off but...

The guy who's housing my horses has offered to buy them, at a very good price, to "help me get back on my feet". If I let them go, I don't know...

I'm not where I was last night but this whole thing has got me kinda defeated. I'm near 60 and some disabled. When I last rebuilt, this place, I was 40, had fire to fight the disabilities, and had a lover, Shadow, beside me. Today I feel I have have little or nothing worth fighting for.

sw

That's not as hard as it sounds.   I'm a dirt farmer so tractors etc are mission critical.    I don't buy two of everything, I just don't trade in or sell the old equipment.   I do have 50 year old tractors with brand new guts.   I prefer the old style high torque/low speed engines.   Most "modern" diesels are designed to be throw away so you are compelled to update your technology at least once a decade.

Re the horses (and overall attitude), I'm north of 60 and on the transplant list.   I have someone to get my critters to a good home when I can't take care of them but until I am room temperature, I'm not giving up any important part of my life without a fight.    I've been told that I'm stubborn and foolish.   I've also been told (by doctors) that I'm alive because I refuse to give up.

Basically, if you gotta go, you gotta go.   But be sure they know it was a fight.

Messages In This Thread
Preparedness in the event of fire, and a fire at my place - by caikgoch - 07-18-2019, 03:01 PM