• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news and bad news re BF

Quote:
5 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

There is a commercial dog-breeding operation about a half-mile from me.  I can hear the dogs at feeding time from here every day.  Did a walk-through on an excuse a while back.  The dogs are friendly and eager, the pens easily accessible.  In the "old days" I would have been all over that place after dark.  These days?  Nope, not a chance.  Look but don't touch......  

No quarrel there.  I never was ok with fencehopping but I'm more fearful of things other than cameras, to be honest.

Quote:
18 hours ago, cervids said:

No quarrel there.  I never was ok with fencehopping but I'm more fearful of things other than cameras, to be honest.

These days this is definitely so.  Though your life as you know it is over in either case......

Quote:
18 hours ago, cervids said:

But they aren't in our TVs...

Not sure your meaning, but if you have a "smart" TV it has an imbedded camera.  Personally I have a bit of black electrical tape over mine.

Quote:
10 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Not sure your meaning, but if you have a "smart" TV it has an imbedded camera.  Personally I have a bit of black electrical tape over mine.

In 1984 Televisions were two way displays, with someone monitoring you on the other end.

My TV is dumb as dirt so I forget things like this.  Also haven't met a smart tv with a camera just yet, only tablets, but last time I shopped for one was like 4 years ago so...

Quote:
20 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Yeah this is sadly true. When shopping for my last TV I'd say about half the smart TV's had cameras - it was tough finding one with the features I wanted that didn't have a camera. Also now there is Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa that seems to be built in to everything. I'll never understand why people seem so keen to rush and fill their homes with equipment that is capable of listening to you or watching you. Even if you don't think Google or Amazon are going to spy on you its really only a matter of time before these devices are hacked and used that way by someone or some organisation.

I'll put away my tin foil hat now...

Quote:
2 hours ago, Thunder-Bay-Syd said:

Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa

I allow neither into my home, or barn. Watch your trucks these days too... 

sw

Seems likely we will see Skynet in my lifetime.  We're most of the way there already.

Everyone knows a tinfoil hat won't protect you.  You need a lead foil hat!  And a Faraday cage. 

Seriously, there is some benefit to be had with grounded steel buildings, beyond lightning protection.....

There is a degree of paranioa in all this too.

Yes, things these days have cameras, a lot of them.  Yes, if you are ignorant if how it works, that camera can probably be used to spy on you.  But it doesn't just happen, someone needs motive and intent and know a lot about you first...  which probably means you done fucked up somewhere else.

The gub'ment isn't putting backdoors in everything with a camera, or recording 24/7.  They haven't got the disk space for that (yet).

Source:  I worked for years on a software api centered around a little green droid (or was it a blue alien?).  I'm now layed off and can say no more, but I saw how the sausauge maker works.

You want something to be afraid of?  It's "hardware security."  That's what you should fear.  When you don't really control the machine you own...  and that is precisely what they are pushing.

Quote:
10 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Seems likely we will see Skynet in my lifetime.  We're most of the way there already.

My thoughts:  Skynet will be boring and the worst it'll do is serve you awful, 3D printed whey based protien "burgers."

Honestly that site was more problematic than not. Just glad it kicked the bucket. Mods were terrible, people were a mix.