• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clueless zoo in trouble, please help.

Please help.

I currently have a three year old bitch, but I really want to have a male dog too because I want to turn it into a lovely polyamorous relationship (and to be honest I'm more attracted to males, I feel like she'd be more happy with it too).

However, having puppies is not an option. I'm fine with them having sex together (I even wish for that to happen), but how do I prevent them from having puppies? Spaying or neutering obviously isn't an option here.

I've called numerous vets and went all around Google trying to find vets who perform tubal ligations or vasectomies, yet I can't find anything. All these vets say it's only dangerous to perform tubal ligations, and they say male dogs don't have vasectomies and just recommend I would let them perform a chemical castration on him.

I'm pretty sure that decreases his libido, so I don't want that to really happen. Not to mention I want to give my male dog a normal orgasm, with body fluids and all, if you know what I mean.

They also said no to pills or syringes that prevent bitches from going in heat.

Are there any alternatives? Some kind of alternate surgery or some kind of technique or anything at all?

Is there anyone out there who had experience with polyamorous relationships where you had a female and male animal?

If you do know a vet that does these surgeries, note that I'm in the Netherlands. I can't travel to another country. Unless it's Belgium, maybe.

Thanks in advance.

You have to be more selective in your searches.

I highly recommend against a tubal ligation for bitches based on my own experience; its delicate surgery and not 100% effective (she may still get pregnant, so its unreliable).  I put a German Shepherd through it; the surgeon cut the wrong tissue and she was bleeding for over a month and took some two months to recover, and she still got pregnant [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/unsure.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":/" width="20" />

I instead recommend what's called an Ovary-Sparing Spay or OSS.  It removes the uterus, but not the ovaries -- so she can't have puppies, won't drip blood during heats but will still have them, will not impact her hormones and, as a cannot-understand-the-importance of benefit, she can't get pyometra.  Unfortunately, like vasectomies, it can be difficult to find a vet willing to do this instead of pushing spays/castrations only.

Here is a list of U.S. veterinarians willing to perform an O.S.S. and/or vasectomy:  https://www.parsemus.org/projects/veterinarian-list/

Welcome to the club.     Vets are taught to lie about animal sexual matters "to protect the animals".      Keep looking.    There has to be an honest vet somewhere.

Oh, and ... be prepared financially.  I am having to save up to get a new canine companion an OSS; the quote I got was around $1,000.

Quote:
3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I instead recommend what's called an Ovary-Sparing Spay or OSS.  It removes the uterus, but not the ovaries -- so she can't have puppies, won't drip blood during heats but will still have them, will not impact her hormones and, as a cannot-understand-the-importance of benefit, she can't get pyometra.  Unfortunately, like vasectomies, it can be difficult to find a vet willing to do this instead of pushing spays/castrations only.

Thanks for your answers.

I've heard of this before, but it makes me really uncomfortable. I love her body the way she is, so removing a body part of her seems cruel and unethical.

I need some comforting. Did one of your bitches have this surgery? How do you feel about it then?

I'll still consider it because it seems way better than a normal spay or castration.

Quote:
5 minutes ago, caikgoch said:

Keep looking.    There has to be an honest vet somewhere.

I will, it's just really stressful for me because I'm asking multiple vets really weird / suspicious questions since no single vet seems to do this surgery...

It may seem cruel or unethical to keep one's spouse locked in a fence, but its unfortunately a necessary and responsible curtailment of freedom in the interests of health and safety.  The uterus is where conception takes place.  I hope you are well aware that there is a terrible overpopulation of all the popular pets.  And sterile pyometra is nothing to scoff at.

A bitch may develop ovarian cancer; my roommate's recently did and she had to have a full spay.  Wolves, the wild ancestors from which all dogs descend, have a natural lifespan in the wild of only 5 or 6 years.  Domesticated dogs can readily live 9-12 years, some 18 or even more.  Trust me when I say its worth it to give them every year you can.  Fences keep them from getting hit by a car or in a fatal fight with other animals; excision of the uterus will prevent unwanted pups whom may die due to a lack of resources to care for them or homes to place them in and a terrible, fatal disease later in life.  Its a trade off, but I think worth it.

No, I have not  yet gotten one, but I am going to.  I have several zoo friends whom have gone through a lot of this, gotten and OSS and are happy with it.  I am also being more careful and not finding "just anyone" willing to do the surgery -- that can get you a zoo-friendly but inexperienced vet tech as I think was what happened with my German Shepherdess resulting in the pain and suffering she incurred from the botched ligation.

I again point you to the list I linked to earlier of vets willing to do an OSS for a bitch or a vasectomy for a stud.

Thanks Eagle, I'll try to find such a vet.

But as I said, I don't live in the US. That site has no use to me at all, sadly.

This is a clone account of a banned member. Most if not all of the above is fabricated. Thank you to the users who replied so thoughtfully, but I hate seeing you unfairly used.

sw

Quote:
6 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

This is a clone account of a banned member. Most if not all of the above is fabricated. Thank you to the users who replied so thoughtfully, but I hate seeing you unfairly used.

sw

Well, I can see some value in the discussion regardless, though thanks for the heads-up.

Anyone keeping intact dogs will at some point need containment, for certain times.  For large well-motivated dogs chain link will tear like a run in panty hose.  I made a kennel with a small air cond building (with no windows and sturdy locks, btw) at one end and outdoor runs made of "horse panels" (1/8 inch galvanized steel rods welded in 2 x 4 inch openings) fastened to rebars set in the concrete floor.  With stock panels covering the top.  Which cost less than the chain link dog pens, bigger, and have lasted about 25 years with minimal wear so far.  I do recommend the solid aluminum doggie doors; the plastic ones take about 20 seconds to shred.  Sure it's nice to keep them in the house, but a Dane in heat can tear through a wall, jump through a closed window, do thousands $ in damage, be severely injured.  Plan ahead-- 

Its B.S. that intact dogs need containment but castrated/spayed dogs don't.  ALL dogs need containment ... and for that matter, I don't care how popular it is to let them, cats should not be allowed to roam uncontained.  We've lost several wild bird species and many more are critically endangered, and I've had to deal with cats getting through dog fencing, shitting in my yard, dogs getting into it and getting worms over and over again no matter how often I treated them [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/unsure.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":/" width="20" />