• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zoos with disabilities

Quote:
12 hours ago, cervids said:

This is an option for contact, but not romance, honestly.

I'm in a similar boat with deer.  My physical ailments aren't really much, but I suffer from a strange germophobia that seems to be very...  selective in what triggers it (feces, mostly, if you really must know).  It certainly interferes, but is not a dealbreaker on it's own, I'm sure given time and effort I can break past it.

Then the motor (movement) issues.  They are fun.  Fine motor dysfunction only, so this limits me very little in the modern world, thank god for the keyboard becaause no one can read my writing.  Shaky hands make tool use hard too, but only really fine tool use like screwdrivers, soldering, etc.  Shame because I've got excellent electronic understanding, re the latter, but I can barely hold two wires together reliably to make a bond.

Depression is by far the worst of it.  I'd say it's situational, but it's not.  Sure I could argue life sucks, but it doesn't.  I could make it better.  If I could just get out of bed before 3PM, and that seems to be hard lately.  Yeah, it's a mountain.  But like most mountains, if what you want is on the other side, get climbing.  That's the only real advice I have.

Nah.  If you get banned or even warned for a thread like this, I for one am out.  This needs to be discussed, and I doubt anyone disagrees.

Goats and dogs are actually my line of thought too...  lol.  Doubt I'll ever get around to deer, because, well, it's a legal AND disability-harsh thing, caring for them.  You have to run before you can walk (especially to catch a deer...  ok, that was a horrific joke, sorry, but it wrote itself)

Maybe this is going to sound weird following up on this, but I have thought in the past of getting a "zoo roomie" to spread the burden a bit (no this is not an offer to meet up, lol, just a tangent of a thought).  I met a few zoos with fellow deer interest in that vein of thought.

Sadly, 75% of them did at least one of the following over the years:

1. Died.

2. Became aparently insane in some form.

3. Turned out to be horrible animal abusers

The other 25% cocnsist of one guy I just talked with on this forum, our very own Ramseys.

So, Ramseys, please don't do any of the above...  Our people need good role models quite badly, it seems.  I really don't want to go down thinking deer lovers are just completely off their rocker, and I'm destined to be next.

in the end, yeah, zoo roomies now terrify me and have me arming myself with the nearest sharp objects rather than thinking "meet!"  It's most unfortunate.

I can relate. This is rather depressing stuff to hear.

Quote:
1 hour ago, battlecrops said:

I discovered the Barbados Black Belly recently and

I would suggest otherwise.  They are notoriously batshit crazy (opposite of tame and gentle) and sometimes die from eating browse (leafy stuff).

Try Katahdins for hairsheep.  Pick tame ones that shed clean when you buy.  They are hardy and parasite resistant and come in all colors and patterns.

Glad to see that someone is getting help, at least.

If anyone wants to message me, feel free to do so. I'm staying here for a while.

Quote:
3 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

I would suggest otherwise.  They are notoriously batshit crazy (opposite of tame and gentle) and sometimes die from eating browse (leafy stuff).

Try Katahdins for hairsheep.  Pick tame ones that shed clean when you buy.  They are hardy and parasite resistant and come in all colors and patterns.

Don't want to get too off topic here, maybe we should DM about sheep info but just curious, aren't ram sheep generally not considered very safe to interact one-on-one with?  I'm mostly interested in male animals as future partners.  They stink to high heaven but at least most buck goats are personable.

Are American Blackbellies about the same as the Barbados?  I'm liking the Katahdins, the rams have some serious neck fluff!

Quote:
5 hours ago, battlecrops said:

Don't want to get too off topic here, maybe we should DM about sheep info but just curious, aren't ram sheep generally not considered very safe to interact one-on-one with?  I'm mostly interested in male animals as future partners.  They stink to high heaven but at least most buck goats are personable.

Are American Blackbellies about the same as the Barbados?  I'm liking the Katahdins, the rams have some serious neck fluff!

Depends on the ram, woolies tend to be way worse.  (Rams have very mild odor and just pee, not spray like a billy.)  And I've met some billy goats I had to bulldog to look at the nannies to keep from getting headbutted.  Selective breeding Kats can stop butting, they shoulder-shove for dominance.  Just saying it can be done, the violators get de-selected from the herd, become someone's dinner. 

There's a sheep/goat subforum farther down if you'd like to expand on this topic....  

Quote:
3 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

There's a sheep/goat subforum farther down if you'd like to expand on this topic....  

I must have missed it. Where is it?

I was just thinking about starting one.

Quote:
18 hours ago, HorseHoof said:

I suppose there is no point in arguing. I'll keep my "tirades" in this thread, which is meant to be a space for disabled zoos to express themselves. I have nobody to talk to about my problems, so at least give me this much.

Not if they take the same turn as the "Spirit" posts. I was promised that would not happen, remember? You came close with the threat of suicide (Spirit did so daily at least), I reminded you. That is all. No argument.

Talk about your limitations here. Ask for help. Listen to suggestions. If they won't work, say WHY they won't. OFFER suggestions to others. Make the thread useful.

The thread is not a place for HorseHoof to get therapy for himself, not here. That isn't "representation" in the community for disabled zoos, as your own opening post asks for. 

sw

Quote:
3 hours ago, Ramseys said:

If it doesn't exist, please add it Ramseys!  If it does, tell me where [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
3 hours ago, Ramseys said:

Animal Husbandry & Health > Health & Wellness > Ovins & Capra subforum (Sheep & Goats).

www.zoowg.org/forum/47-ovins-capra-subforum-sheep-goats/