• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns

I'm a bit mystified at Ruger. While I consider them to be a good company making good sturdy firearms, this new gun of theirs is a bit of a head scratchier.

[Image: Ruger-57.jpg.a94e677597d8626563639ed0a741ef0c.jpg]

As in 5.7x28mm. That weird ass bottle necked round that FN is so proud of.

The FN Five-seveN® is, as far as I know, (not much at times) is the only other pistol chambered in that round.

And only one or maybe two companies load the ammo for it. Which makes it as scarce as hen's teeth and more expensive then my .400 Cor-Bon.

So... Have I missed some fantastic revelation that this is going to be the next 'wonder gun', to taking over the gun world?

Or is Ruger just trying to hang with the cool kids?

I have no idea.  Higher profit?   It's offered at 2 1/2 times what I paid for my P-95 in stainless.

The reviews I've seen put a 9mm round at 4 times the weight and more than half as fast; their round would have to go at 3000 fps for the same energy as the 9mm (m/l) , which it doesn't.  

So as they say, "Follow the money".  Higher price for similar tech initially, and a proprietary round you ain't gonna find at Walmart.

PS: The advantage I've seen touted is higher mag capacity.  (20 rounds)  I'm pretty sure that if it's not dead after 15 9mm rounds, another 5 isn't going to improve the situation much... 

Quote:
1 hour ago, heavyhorse said:

I have no idea.  Higher profit?   It's offered at 2 1/2 times what I paid for my P-95 in stainless.

The reviews I've seen put a 9mm round at 4 times the weight and more than half as fast; their round would have to go at 3000 fps for the same energy as the 9mm (m/l) , which it doesn't.  

So as they say, "Follow the money".  Higher price for similar tech initially, and a proprietary round you ain't gonna find at Walmart.

PS: The advantage I've seen touted is higher mag capacity.  (20 rounds)  I'm pretty sure that if it's not dead after 15 9mm rounds, another 5 isn't going to improve the situation much... 

That's the "spray and pray" mentality so common today.   Skill is costly in time and material.   Apply the "smart monkey" mindset to firearms and you have .  .   .   .

Quote:
17 minutes ago, caikgoch said:

That's the "spray and pray" mentality so common today.   Skill is costly in time and material.   Apply the "smart monkey" mindset to firearms and you have .  .   .   .

That's where (oddly) the movies get it right.  Some guy runs through a hail of gunfire unscathed; the guy crouched behind something picks them off with single gunshots.  

I can't hit the broad side of the legendary barn "gangsta style", worse than a slow-motion shotgun.  But line up the white dots on the iron sights I can headshot a coyote with one round at 50 feet.

And Amazon has a really decent under $30 all-metal flashlight-laser sight that mounts on the rail under the barrel.  Makes it so I can use the iron sights in full darkness on the armadillos.  Won't fit in standard holsters, but fits a back pocket just fine.  

"Spray & pray" works in the bush, when you're trying to break contact and the light rounds the military uses now bounce off the leaves and trunks of jungle vegetation and go literally everywhere, or in urban 'concrete jungles' for the same reasons,  and that's the only time it works. Even then, a good 12 gauge is more effective as the noise alone is more of a deterrent. Believe me, I know. Only sub-machine guns chambered in a heavy round should be used to 'spray' a target, and even then aimed short bursts are more effective.

sw

Don't know if this will help, but ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7×28mm

Hyperspeed flyweight bullets ... those aren't known for accuracy, and they all turn into flyers when they go subsonic. Maybe they were going for the reduced recoil, who knows? I suppose it was mostly done in hopes of landing huge military contracts. Meanwhile the good ol' nine has been around for about a hundred years, now, hasn't it?

If I'm going to "spray" with something smaller than my main arm, it'll be chambered in .45APC, 9mm or .38S&W.  I actually carried a shortened (not 'sawed off' ) .12ga as a secondary most of the time when we didn't have to be 'deniable', either a Remington 870 series or Mossberg 500 series. I preferred the Mossbergs. Deniable, I could choose a Winchester Model 12 and often would. (Deniable weapons are often 'surplus' US weapons older than 1975) The only benefit to carrying a sub would be having one chambered in the same caliber as my sidearm, which in my case was .45APC as were most SF even after the Army switched to 9mm. They use a different round now, but it's a different world.  

"Spraying" with your main arm is just a stupid waste of ammo, EXCEPT when trying to break the steam of a full frontal attack. Otherwise, pick your target, aim, squeeze the trigger, repeat. Let the Arty, Machine guns & grenades take out the numbers. Or my booby traps...

sw

I had an FN FiveSeveN IOM pistol for a while.  They're illegal here now, so I ended up selling it out of state (along with several hundred rounds of ammo) for crazy money.  The original intent of the round was its armor piercing capability.  Those AP rounds are not normally available to civilians, but I managed to acquire a single-digit quantity through unauthorized channels.  They will not pierce any significant amount of metal or even 10mm Plexiglass, but they went through level IIIa soft body armor like it was a plain shirt.

In addition to FN (the civilian versions are actually loaded by Fiocchi USA) it is available from Federal in the low-cost American Eagle line.  PPU in Serbia was supposed to make it at one point but I believe they ran into patent licensing issues.

Shooting the thing, I would say it kicks about as much as a .38 Special loaded with 148-grain wadcutters.

Quote:
On 1/6/2020 at 10:57 AM, silverwolf1 said:

Even then, a good 12 gauge is more effective as the noise alone is more of a deterrent.

Every meth head thief in the world, can instantly recognize the cha shing of a 12 pump and i guarantee their ass will clench at the sound

The zombie apocalypse is here, meth heads are absolutely wandering around like the walking dead.

Remember the mini-gun in the movie "Predator"

<a class="ipsAttachLink" href="//www.zoowg.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=3868">VID_20200118_102136_516.mp4</a>