• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun

The M134 Minigun is a 7.62×51mm NATO six-barrel rotary machine gun with a high, sustained rate of fire (2,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute). 

It features a Gatling-style rotating barrel assembly with an external power source, normally an electric motor. 

The "Mini" in the name is in comparison to larger-caliber designs that use a rotary barrel design, such as General Electric's earlier 20 mm M61 Vulcan, and "gun" for the use of rifle ammunition as opposed to autocannon shells.

I once worked at an airbase that was home to several A10 Thunderbolt II (aka "Warthog") aircraft.  Those are equipped with a 30x173mm GAU-8/A Avenger rotary barrel auto cannon, most decidedly NOT a mini gun.  It works on the same principle, just a lot bigger.  The ammo drum holds something like 1200 rounds.  Does that qualify as a "high capacity magazine" ya think?

How an AK-47 works.

<a class="ipsAttachLink" data-fileid="3869" href="<___base_url___>/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=3869">N45i8xI.mp4</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink" data-fileid="3870" href="<___base_url___>/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=3870">nPSh3Sb.mp4</a>

HAHA! Whoever did those videos must never have fired an AK-type weapon. The empties don't fall at your feet so much as try to cross the horizon.

Amazing piece of work; most of the internal parts are so crude looking, like chiseled rocks or something; all the pivots are sloppy--but that's the point: you could pop the cover off and dump a handful of gravel in and it would still fire every round; you'd just have crushed rock falling out of the trigger well on you.

You know what? Seen this thread for ages and finally decided to pop in. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> My thing is revolvers, I love the old 'single-action' style, and have fired a few big-bores in my day. I plan on getting a Big Bore SA this summer if I can scrimp enough for one... one of these in particular.

[Image: image.png.e72627a92a8fd8bb4ac23e45efe91158.png]

This one isn't mine (obviously [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":P" width="20" /> ) but I *love* the looks and finish of the BFRs, I want a shorter one (around 4.5 - 5 in. barren) in a caliber like 500 S&W Mag, 454 Casull, etc...

Magnum Research will even do engravings and custom builds, which is awesome!

I can't imagine a reason why I would want to shorten the barrel on something chambered like that.  But I hope you are delighted with your purchase.  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/happy.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="^_^" width="20" />

I haven't decided calibers and whatnot yet. I'm looking for a big-bore, sort of 'general purpose' type. Still doing my research. 50 Mag isn't practical for a lot of things, but hand-loading does open up a few doorways. Kinda required too if you look at ammo cost.

If you are going for a multi-use caliber I think the 454 Casull is a better option.

Rather then having to under load that massive 500 case and use weird powders, the 45 long colt is already a 'down power' load from the 454, without having to have dangerous air voids in the case.

Since I don't know what your upper body strength is. All I can say is that I hope you got gorilla arms to have any hope of getting a second shot off of S&W 500 Mag at that charging bear, before he demands a blow-job.... Or whatever bears do. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":P" width="20" />

[Image: 5e3228146a36f_BearHunting.jpg.3b938d621a...f3b213.jpg]

Quote:
13 hours ago, Ramseys said:

If you are going for a multi-use caliber I think the 454 Casull is a better option.

Rather then having to under load that massive 500 case and use weird powders, the 45 long colt is already a 'down power' load from the 454, without having to have dangerous air voids in the case.

Since I don't know what your upper body strength is. All I can say is that I hope you got gorilla arms to have any hope of getting a second shot off of S&W 500 Mag at that charging bear, before he demands a blow-job.... Or whatever bears do. 

Very good points actually, I do have decent upper-body, but it's been a while since I've handled a big-bore. My problem with the 500 as well is worrying about over-penetration. If i have to use it in an SD situation I don't want to hit something / someone behind my target. Though some massive hollow-points may help there.

You can make smaller / lighter loads without 'undercharging'. You don't want to go too far under minimum pressure, but a mid-pressure round with a more 'mild burning' powder like Hodgdon's 'Trailboss' may work well for SD loads.

Oh, and assuming he's nice about it: I'd give a bear a BJ, or a little more.. Heehee, would be an interesting experience to write about.

Quote:
5 hours ago, WinterGreenWolf said:

If i have to use it in an SD situation

Yeah I can see that being a CC piece...