• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What hobbies/ activities do your companion animals enjoy?

In another thread we've told of our hobbies and interests, but what of our lovers and companions? Of course it's understood that they must first be introduced to and must be given these activities by us most times but they can introduce us to new forms of play as well. So, what do your companions do for fun?

Tippy, though not outgoing was a people watcher. She loved to sit in the park all day watching their shenanigans. She'd ignore adults, but would even let kids pet her. I know it was her thing 'cause I hated it.

Tippy also enjoyed hiking and camping with me and was quite the explorer of new trails.

All my dogs visit childrens hospitals and nursing homes, but Shadow honestly enjoyed doing so most.

Tippys son Rags was my most athletic, into agility, flyball, frisbee, and water diving. He also loved hiking and camping and anything outdoors. He was also a working herder. He was really the best dog ever!

Sage, the lab I have now, is ball obsessed. However, like Rags who trained her, she is into water diving. She also loves camping and is getting into hiking. She taught me the "two ball throw", tossing both with one hand she will retrieve both, one in each cheek. Looks cute.

Aggie, the BC, is training still to herd. She enjoys sitting on the picnic table surveying her territory and playing tug-o-war with Sage. She's quite young yet, but is enthusiastic about camping and hiking as much as I can do still. She is learning Agility with an FFA member near here. 

The horses have balls. Big rubber balls they love to belt between them. It's fun to watch. My buckskin will kick it to me if I call for it now, and I  do my best to roll it back. She whinnies and kicks it again. The rescue mare stands off a bit still while we play this game. I hope she joins in some day.

Mine get to go with me when I go exploring out in the hills or get to roam around the house chasing the random critters here.  I try to give them a day just for them

Covy, my beloved late German Shepherd, liked to play ... in fact, she would invent games.  I like to kneel down to a dog's level so I don't just tower over them, and once when I did this with her, she reached forward with her muzzle to grip the bridge of my glasses in her teeth and ran off to the far end of the yard.  She would look back at me, wagging, enticing me to chase her!

Eating... lots and lots of eating... damn pinscher fatty.

Quote:
8 hours ago, Eagle said:

Covy, my beloved late German Shepherd, liked to play ... in fact, she would invent games.  I like to kneel down to a dog's level so I don't just tower over them, and once when I did this with her, she reached forward with her muzzle to grip the bridge of my glasses in her teeth and ran off to the far end of the yard.  She would look back at me, wagging, enticing me to chase her!

I don't have to bend down, I have a full grown horse that does things like this.    My hat is his favorite target.     Attention is the goal.

I have Great Danes.

Their activities include,  Laying on bed, Laying on the couch, and when they are really frisky, Laying on the deck.

I sometimes take my dog to Jack in the Box.

Don't look at me like that.  He loves it, we make up for it in walks, and pay for it in gas.

Quote:
14 hours ago, caikgoch said:

I don't have to bend down, I have a full grown horse that does things like this.    My hat is his favorite target.     Attention is the goal.

I think of it as all the proof I need that those who decry "anthropomorphizing animals is wrong" are themselves wrong.  Humans don't have exclusive dominion over thought, feeling or even creativity.

Quote:
11 hours ago, Ramseys said:

I have Great Danes.

Their activities include,  Laying on bed, Laying on the couch, and when they are really frisky, Laying on the deck.

You left out "Shredding armadillos".

And half-rabbits, left as gifts.  (Usually the front half). 

Cleaning up after Danes is always interesting..... 

Quote:
On 11/5/2018 at 9:27 PM, Eagle said:

think of it as all the proof I need that those who decry "anthropomorphizing animals is wrong" are themselves wrong.  Humans don't have exclusive dominion over thought, feeling or even creativity.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Anyways, on to the topic ( and a lighter note [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> ).

So I don't have an 'intimate' companion or one I've raised from a youngster, but I do have two dogs I watch over for family, who are for sure 'unique'.

The beagle was meant to be a rabbit dog, but he didn't quite get it down: so was just transferred to pet.

His favorite hobbies include: digging as many f*ing holes as he can, escaping as quick and as late at night as he can, and when in your company: being a complete attention whore. Including but not limited to loving to slurp glasses lenses (a personal favorite of mine, especially with really thick glasses: they tend to need cleaned often...) and belly rubs.

If one does not provide said beagle belly rubs, he throws himself against your legs for attention: forcefully, and awaits his pets.

The German Shepherd: now this fellow used to be a police canine, and will milk for attention as well at any opportunity.

When it's feeding time, or I approach you'd think he's being strangled the noises he makes, upon opening his kennel door there's a black and tan blur and you're almost on your ass with a one-hundred-ten pound wiggling ball of fluff who wants ear rubs.

This damn dog -loves- the insides of his ears rubbed too (carefully, of course...). He's inventive too, stealing gloves, ski masks (in the cold seasons), or tugging coat / shirt tails are favorites for attention.

He'a also a complete attention whore for belly rubs as well and will whine if I stop.

Maybe not quite 'hobbies' but definitely some interesting things between those two. Love em' both to death too: they always make me smile.