• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of interest

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alternat...023691810/

Well that's interesting.  Somewhat detail lacking; how much exactly is removed I wonder?  Still it would be great if other options became available and customary.

That group in general is full of great information about alternative altering.  Click the "files" tab on the left and they have information there.  I'll likely be having ovary-saving spay done if I get any non-show female dogs in the future.

Isn't a hysterectomy the removal of the uterus? Why go that far when they can simply do a tubal ligation?

Having opted for a tubal ligation for my late GSD, I highly recommend against it.  There were complications with the surgery that left her bleeding and in pain for a month afterward, and it wasn't even effective (she got pregnant again).  It also offers zero protection (even when effective at preventing unwanted puppies) against pyometria.  Hysterectomy solves both problems (and, unlike a full spay, does not alter her hormones).

Quote:
7 hours ago, Eagle said:

Having opted for a tubal ligation for my late GSD, I highly recommend against it.  There were complications with the surgery that left her bleeding and in pain for a month afterward, and it wasn't even effective (she got pregnant again).  It also offers zero protection (even when effective at preventing unwanted puppies) against pyometria.  Hysterectomy solves both problems (and, unlike a full spay, does not alter her hormones).

Honestly it sounds like a terrible vet more than anything else. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Removal of her ovaries will substantially alter the bitch's hormone action.

Quote:
25 minutes ago, littlejohn said:

Removal of her ovaries will substantially alter the bitch's hormone action.

Which a partial spay does not do.  Just the uterus.

OK.  That'll keep the estrogen.

The main procedures discussed in the group are vasectomy and ovary-saving spay.  OSS can be a good option for people who would like to keep their dogs hormonally intact without the risk of unwanted litters, and almost entirely prevents pyo so that's the main benefit of it over tubal ligation.  Honestly I haven't heard much about tubal ligation for dogs, seems like OSS is simpler and thus more common.