• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to properly socialize with horses (help)

First of all, nothing sexual in this topic. I just mean the title in specific. I know sexual behavior is important in species in general but that's not the goal here. However I choose to ask you, because I trust you more than the normal guides and people I see around that just happen to own horses and don't really care about them.

I'm working at a farm around once a week, and there are many horses there. I always try to learn how to properly socialize with animals when I first meet them, learning their body language and facial expressions etc. It seems it's better to approach horses in some form of "bow way" instead of straight foward (and always from an angle they can see me, not from behind), and relatively slowly. Also their ears pointed up seem to be a good (or not bad) sign. Anyway I'm learning these things but no matter how hard I try, they will never let me touch them. I can get close to them but at the moment I raise my hand or intend to caress them or touch them at all, they decide to avoid me and walk some steps away. So I tried leaving that goal for the future and just trying to get accepted in the group by at least letting me be around and close to them, and try to touch them only later whenever I gain enough trust, but that never seems to happen.

Is it because they only see me once a week? (not often enough to trust me?) Maybe I should wait for a moment when they stop eating? although they are always eating. Or maybe there are a lot more things I'm ignoring/not being aware of?

thank you

As a trainer, when dealing with a strange horse I never raise my hand beyond their chest. I start by just standing in their pasture, not approaching them but letting them approach me instead. Horses are extremely curious and WILL come to you just to see what/ who you are. I let them touch me first too, nosing and sniffing, and sometimes nibbling me. I slowly let them push and let my hand slide along their chest. Carefully, I begin to just rub the chest, easing up along the neck and foreleg. I'll do this sometimes 20 days in a row before proceeding further along their body or even attempting to move while they're near me. The head is always last, and the biggest sign of trust from a horse. Then, it starts under the chin and along the jaw, for days. Never reach above the eyes from the front, always from the back of the neck. Rub along the jaw, slowly increasing upward reach until they are comfortable letting you reach the top of the head, or poll. Rub and scratch between the ears, they love that.

I always speak very softly while doing these things. They seem to cue on the voice. Never wear strong deodorant or cologne around them as that is upsetting to their strong sense of smell. If you can approach them after cleaning stalls or haying, etc. it's even better. The scents will comfort them more. 

Just a few of my thoughts on it...

sw

Watch where they go to rest or feed.    Take a comfortable chair and just sit nearby.    They will get used to you and slowly ease over to you.     Horses are more about proximity than contact but they do love a good scratch.      A good butt scratch is the sure and certain way to a horse's heart but you must start near the shoulder and work your way back as their trust grows.     If you see a "nervous foot" or a stomp, back up and try again later.      Depending on the horse and your self control, it can take from hours to months to make friends.

As mentioned, strong smells can upset them but some odors seem to draw them.     Mine seem to love Hall's Menthol cough drops.    Don't flinch when they "get in your face".    That is a normal greeting and showing that you enjoy it is a major step.     Do freak if you see flat ears and open mouth.    

Horses are far more social than humans.      They literally live the buddy system.     If there is an odd number of horses in any group, one of them will be looking for a buddy.      Observe their interactions until you can figure out which one then concentrate on that one.     When that one accepts you, the rest will follow.    Understand that there will be some responsibility inherent in gaining this or any horse's trust.     Horses are expert at reading emotion and know if you are faking it.

I see.

What about me visiting them only once a week? It will just make it take more time or it's just not often enough to EVER gain anyone's trust?

Be consistent.    Cumulative time will matter so at once a week it may take a while but being predictable will make the horses feel secure with you and that is what is important to them.

I chew a clove, originally for my teeth but now just because I enjoy it, and they seem to enjoy that scent as well. I have noticed they like menthol (some home remedies include it and it seems to frighten them less when applying than other meds) as well. There are probably other scents they enjoy, but I'd test that only after gaining their trust.

On the once a week visits, as Caikgoch has said just be consistent. Thats much more important than frequency. You may find a horse that takes to you almost immediately, it happens sometimes. That connection is special when it does. Again, watch for the warning signs Caikgoch described, and stop what you're doing when you see them. Fear is a definite no as well. If you're nervous or fearful around them they will pick up on that and be so themselves, making it a dangerous situation to be in.

sw

I see. All of this is very helpful. Thank you two.

By the way, should I care about the looks? like trying to wear the same color clothes the first times? or something like that? or is smell the only thing I should care about?

Their vision is different than ours.     They see a panorama around them with less color and more sensitivity to shape and movement.    A radical change like from summer to winter clothing will get a nervous reaction at first but they will recognize the way you hold yourself and move and come back to smell you.     Among themselves something as small as the angle of a head or the direction of a gaze has significant meaning.      They will observe and recognize you at this level. 

Should I avoid giving treats to a group of horses in an open area when they are in mating season? I don't know a lot about them but I usually see them being a bit more aggressive at spring/summer or whenever their mating season is and I don't know if giving treats may make them fight for it or just get more aggressive with eachother or even with me.

What are the best treats I should offer to them? and when should I do it exactly? I fear that if I give them treats too often and at random times they might see it as a submissive behavior from me and then demand it and go aggressive to me, and I don't want that to happen.

Or should I not give them treats at all?

Don't give them anything without the owners permission to start with. Ask them what you can give as well. Giving treats to a horse without knowing their health history can cause a host of problems, including colic and other diseases that can kill them. Too many folks ignore this to the detriment of the animal.

Horses like carrots and apples (always cut up, but not so small they'll try to swallow them whole) most. Small amounts of hay or fresh grass are better, safer bets than any "treat" though.

sw